Tanning deer hide

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
cap4382

Tanning deer hide

#1 Post by cap4382 »

Hey all, been scouring u tube on how to tan deer hide. I've got 2 hides I'd like to try tanning this winter break. I'd like to make something useful, maybe a back quiver. Anyone got experience with this stuff and could share some tips? Any help is appreciated!

Shadowhntr

Re: Tanning deer hide

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

All I know, is breaking is WORK
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

Look up Murphy's soap tanning method, or buy a kit from a taxidermy supply. Plenty of info on taxidermy.net. know the difference between tanning methods, wet and dry. If doing a quiver, you don't really need a lot of break in. I like quiver a bit stiff. Give me a call if ya need.

Mohawk

#4 Post by Mohawk »

Not to take away from your project, but Moyle Mink and Tannery will tan deer hides for $30 each, at least that's what they were a couple years ago. Might give them a look. I taught the trapping section in one of the hunter ed classes where the lead instructor had several various hides tanned by them and they were top grade.

Return to “Leather Crafting”