Made this special bag for turkey season

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Made this special bag for turkey season

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

A couple of years ago, I became acquainted with Joe Hollingshad who owns Devil's Backbone Outfitters near Dora, MO. I met him through a mutual friend, Bill Cooper, and was originally invited to his place to kill a deer with my longbow while Bill filmed it. Well the deer didn't cooperate but Joe and I hit it off first thing. He's an avid black powder shooter and likes to play dress up like me so we had a lot in common. His big claim to fame, though, is turkey hunting. Joe has guided turkey hunters for decades and used to work for some of the big names in the business.

Joe called me a couple of months ago and invited me to hunt turkeys with him on his place with Sweet Rachael, my 20 gauge flintlock turkey gun. Bill will be there to film again and, hopefully, things will turn out better this time. To show my appreciation for his hospitality, I made Joe this shooting bag. It has a springtime theme to it to get a feller in the mood for the season. I will give it to him next Sunday. I can hardly wait to see the look on his face!

The body of the bag is elk hide and the trim is bison. I found some pencil drawings I liked and had them laser etched onto some leather at Springfield Leather Company. I was going for the oldtime box camera photo look with the etchings so I framed them in caiman hide which looks like a wooden frame to me. Everything was sewn by hand using artificial sinew. I was quite pleased with the end result.

The bag is symmetrical with a large compartment and flap on both sides and a patch pocket on the inside of each compartment. This is the front flap.

Under the front flap

Inside the front compartment - I personalized it with Joe's initials.

Back flap - Joe used to guide turkey hunters in the Devil's Backbone Wilderness Area using mules so I used this image to pay tribute to that.

Under the back flap

Inside the back compartment - had to put my maker's mark somewhere!

The D rings are carved from moose antler and the hooks and buttons are carved from deer antler.

Darren

Graps

Re: Made this special bag for turkey season

#2 Post by Graps »

Wow, that's very nice.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

Wow! That shooting bag is.....WOW!

Very nice Darren you sure do great work.
Thanks for sharing.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

As usual, excellent work.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I've never seen workmanship that outstanding. You are tops at it, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Amazing. How long did that take you to put together?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Lowcountry

#7 Post by Lowcountry »

Wow - that is NICE!

joe harrod1945

#8 Post by joe harrod1945 »

you can not get a turkey in that bag.real nice work out standing. :lol:

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

Thanks, all! I gave Joe his bag last Sunday and it actually brought a tear to his eye. He hugged my neck and told me that I had no idea how much that bag meant to him. I couldn't have asked for a better payment than that!

We hunted together for 3 days but were unable to get any gobblers to cooperate. Nevertheless, we had a great time. Here are a couple of photos taken by a mutual friend who put us together, Bill Cooper. The first one is Joe and me with Joe's mountain man toys. Despite how he looks, Joe is smiling on the inside.

This is a cool photo taken by Bill of Joe's stuff; caplock rifle, hunting knife, hawk, shooting bag, and a bobcat hat that I had made for him last year.

Darren

White Falcon

#10 Post by White Falcon »

Beautiful.

Return to “Leather Crafting”