Glue or tape for wrap and rest

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
tmattson

Glue or tape for wrap and rest

#1 Post by tmattson »

What glue (or two way tape) is good to attach a rest/side plate I made from thin piece of leather?
Also, thoughts on same for leather grip, or some other material (Samick Sage Longbow - one piece).
I see some bowyers use some form of contact cement, just wonder how "permanent" that really is.

stumper

Re: Glue or tape for wrap and rest

#2 Post by stumper »

Barge cement all the way. It's semi flexible. Comes off when you want it too and doesn't hurt the bow finish.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Barge cement is probably best as Stumper explained, but I struggle trying not to get it everywhere, I also have used wood glue successfully many times.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

3X^^^^^^
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Another vote for Barge cement. Works good, lasts a long time, AND...easy to remove when the time comes.
Aim small, miss small!

tmattson

#6 Post by tmattson »

ok - so is Barge the same as contact cement? Assume not.
Also, what is a good source for buying leather type stuff, see many different types of materials out there - beaver tail, cow hide, ...

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

I do not believe they're the same thing. barge cement might be a type of contact cement. But stuff that's just labeled contact cement creates a much more permanent Bond if I recall correctly. Also ask for leather grips and stuff most bow websites like Three Rivers archery or kustom king archery for example will sell grip material.

I would get the blue bottle of stuff that is actually labeled barge cement. 3Rivers Archery also has a couple tutorials on how to install a leather rest with barge cement. A single tube ought to last you quite a while. I've had the same tube for well over a year and I think it cost me five bucks on Amazon.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

I use velcro for my rests and side plate it's self sticking and comes off easy.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

gorrila brand double sided tape. If you have a very durable material like beaver tail I have even used superglue.

Return to “Leather Crafting”