Birthday present for a friend

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Birthday present for a friend

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

ImageImage

I finished this arm guard last night for my good friend, John Pruitt, who will turn 79 next Sunday. Mr. Pruitt is an accomplished bowyer and gunsmith and I have whole room full of his bows and flintlocks to attest to his skills. He's also as windy as a sack full of politicians which brings me to the story behind this arm guard.

John never lets an opportunity go by to tell me some tale. Over the years I have known him, most of these tales I have heard many times. This one is no exception. John claims that anyone can hit a big target like a deer or moose but it takes exceptional skill to hit something really small like the time he killed 811 field mice with his bow in one year. Mr. Pruitt swears that all these kills were confirmed by his friends who, conveniently, are all dead now so I will just have to take his word for it. When I first heard this story, some 15 years ago or so, I think the number was quite a bit less than 811. But that is the number he is going with now so I have recorded it on the back of his arm guard for posterity's sake. John also has a sweet tooth so I will have to send him some homemade cookies or brownies to go with the arm guard. Otherwise, he will be calling me up and whining that he was slighted on his special day. That man is like a Walker hound - you make the mistake of feeding him once and now you have to feed him for life!

Arm guard specs: The backing is made from vegetable tanned cowhide and the facing is hippo hide. The yellow trim is moose hide that, ironically, came from the one I killed with my longbow in 2015. The field mouse was laser etched onto a piece of deer hide by my friend, Chad Thomas, at Springfield Leather Company. I carved the lace hooks out of deer antler and sewed everything up by hand using artificial sinew.

Darren

Grizzly

Re: Birthday present for a friend

#2 Post by Grizzly »

Nice work.

I've killed many a rat around my river bunker in Viet Nam, but it sure wasn't anywhere near 811. I'd say it was more than all the rabbits and squirrels I ever killed though. I used to pull the bullets from my .30 carbine and lower the powder charge to make it more quiet. Helped keep me awake while sitting guard duty. I even shot my dog tag chain at them. Best load I ever made.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

#3 Post by White Falcon »

Great gift!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

You amaze me, Darren. Every time.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Beautiful, and great story behind it.

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Very very nice Darren. That is so cool.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Very neat. My wife really likes that one. 👍
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Hill billy

#8 Post by Hill billy »

Lol it not only takes a good shot to kill 811 mice but it takes a good hunter. I prolly havent seen that many in my life. Very nice armguard

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

Here is John in all his glory. I don't think anyone cooks in his family so I sent him a pan of brownies and a do-it-yourself birthday party kit along with the leather work. He received his box of goodies yesterday and was very pleased with the contents. I told him to send me a photo of him celebrating and this is what I got. It sure made my day!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

He sure looks happy enough!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Leather Crafting”