Troubled mind.....

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Shadowhntr

Troubled mind.....

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I was setting in a narrow arm just outside a major bed and forming a nice connective funnel, a few days ago on PHL.. It has deer but always gets pummeled by hunters at peak rut so I wanted to hit it now. It's a ground hunt for me because I don't spend much time there because of all the traffic. Anyway, not long after first light I seen some kind of buck 50 yards away in some brush up wind from my position, and I think he was working scrapes. I got ready for a shot in the funnel. After almost an hour, I'm thinking that it is weird for him not to come on through to the doe bedding. About 30 minutes later I seen a good example of the possibilities of why he didnt. I'm setting there approx 1.5 hrs after good light and hear crash, bang, boom , from the opposite way. Lol..then 5 minutes later here comes this fella, a millennial maybe mid to late 20's and all strapped for bear and hooking it about as fast as he can go without beginning to jog. Stand and everything rattling like a 1960 Chevy truck. As soon as I see him....about 40 yards away...I whistle. He stopped. I whistle again and I can see he isn't leaving until he sees me so I wave at him...he still missed me and I'm in predator fall gray. So I stand up and wave both arms and I see him sigh. He turned and went the 1/4 mile back to his truck thankfully, and many kudos for that much.

At that moment I chuckled to myself. I had read in Popes book about Ishi...that the one thing always consistent with ishi on every single hunt...was that he seemed to begin to suspect game from the instant he picked his bow up and stepped a single foot outside of the camp. Thinking about that young feller yesterday made my heart bleed. The guy had no idea he was walking right up through the edge of sensitive bedding or he didn't mind one or the other. He was crossing every bit of natural deer travel unknowingly, or uncaring. But what was the worst by far that stuck out to me, was this... Obviously he had found a very elusive "button" I've looked for, for many years without succeding. It's the "GAME ON" button. How it works is, Once you get your stand up or to your stand and are in it and ready.... only THEN is it time to hunt, and you can go ahead and push the GAME ON button, so the deer know it's their turn to oblige you :idea: .... :lol:

In another 2 cases, in going by areas...good areas too with great potential, were vehicles parked In a way much to my amazement. They had pulled them right up close to the timber, so that with the prevailing winds of the day had to blow scent from any approach possible and square to the heart of deer populations there. Is there yet another button I don't know about or is this also a place to use the GAME ON button? :idea: :shock:

I jest of course...but seriously.... How often we as bowhunters stray from what the Yana Yahi man taught us. With every generation and every minute, the ability to hunt effectively and wisely is slipping away. Technologies like TV, YouTubers, etc...all showing "stars celebrities" doing much the same as our friends above. All are going into the timbers rather unfocused and certainly not hunting or suspecting game from the moment of onset of when they go forth. But the big difference is those personalities have paid a large sum to an outfitter to position and produce for them a shot, never depending on self abilities and with limitless ground and opportunity. They do not care about any negative impacts for future hunts as a result, for tomorrow they bought a hunt at a new stand and maybe in a whole different State! All season long it's the same for them...basically they are killers instead of hunters. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for guides and outfitters. However the message being sent by those who seem to influence our present and future generations is disheartening at best. Every year I see it....every year farther and farther from the way of woodsmenship and stealth that the indigenous peoples practiced regularly. These people SURVIVED by hunting....it was not a sport or game and certainly not purchased. Unfortunately crying out from the mountain tops about it falls on deaf ears. In this case I'll simply use the words of our Lord. "Those who have ears to hear, let them hear".
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jose

Re: Troubled mind.....

#2 Post by Jose »

All I have to say is....Amen!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Amen! Unfortunately the artillery, gear, gadgets, and guns, are growing, but the old fashioned know how is dwindling away! Before long we will be able to hunt from the comforts of our living room, controlling our gadgets remotely. I’m thankful to have had a dad who took me to the woods early in life. He taught me what the different trees were, what produced food for the critters, and what to look for at different times of the season. Many hit the woods knowing nothing about bedding or feeding areas, it’s no suprise that the fellow didn’t know what he was walking through.
I have made several attempts to take my grandson out and to teach him those things, but he is not interested. It’s too hard, too much trouble, and not fun! I finally gave in a few years ago and put up a two man stand close, put out corn, bought him a crossbow, and took him “hunting”??. My hope was that being just 10 at the time that it might arouse his interest, nope, it had a different effect. He killed one 30 minutes into the hunt, same the next day. Now he thinks there is nothing to it! He can’t figure out why I can’t do as well as he did, can’t explain to where he understands that I don’t enjoy hunting that way. That I like to hunt the deer on their own turf, find them instead of bringing them to a specific place. But like most he just sees success and misses the joy of the pursuit! To each his own I guess, but this old man is set in his ways!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Yeah, the vast majority just don't get it.
I work with a guy that is involved with " DEER MANAGEMENT" and will shoot about twenty does in mid summer.
Crop damage permit.
And then there is the person that thinks you walk out and shoot a deer and the poor thing crys and is in agony while the other deer stand there and watch in horror.
Thank you Mr. Disney, if you hadn't showed us how it really is, we would have never known.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Trying to learn. The curve can be rough, but take heart, Carp..... Not all the millennials are doing this!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”