Days gone by

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
stumper

Days gone by

#1 Post by stumper »

Today was the big day.... hunt number six and I took off a detail to make it an all day affair. We left my house at 0400 hours after I got off the night before at 0100 hours. Yes, I did hunt all day on two hours of sleep. Using some knowledge gained from some fellow deer hunters we traversed to a bedding spot where a four point and seven point were known to hang out. It is important to remember will and I have not seen a deer all year. After several hours of freezing our butts off in 35 degree weather we hiked out for some well deserved lunch. Full and happy we hiked back in to a field where a small herd of doe were known to graze. For six full very long back breaking hours we again did not see a deer. To be honest the WMA actually seemed to be completely devoid of animal life. But all was not wasted. I am more fortunate than most.... I have time to hunt, the equipment and youth/health to do so, and I have a kindred spirit in Will in that our love for the outdoors knows no bounds. Attached you will find several wonderful photos from our hunt. While the pictures have no deer, one can clearly see the masterful brush strokes of a merciful creator. I end the day in a mixed bag of emotions, but mostly grateful to experience the great outdoors. Will and I have talked extensively on the matter of bow hunting and until we can find a more reliable place to hunt the most worthy of quary know as “deer”, we will be transitioning our efforts to small game and aerial hunting with bows. We are not so much giving up but rather changing focus to something that is more doable with our schedules and hunting game more easily found on WMAs in Louisiana. Attitude is simply a matter of perspective. The adventures continue be sure to stay tuned.
Attachments
Sir will
Sir will
E55F26AB-BE4A-4F09-85D7-E0B66ED0F2D9.jpeg (141.76 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Jose you do amazing work sir.
Jose you do amazing work sir.
0926C1EA-4BD0-4A92-9F10-38007D81C096.jpeg (163.65 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Will taking a nap
Will taking a nap
313C666B-D3CE-426C-A401-34DBDB33D1E6.jpeg (161.5 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Briar patch
Briar patch
4AE85409-5585-4558-83EF-2852FFC4492A.jpeg (276.46 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Down the barrel
Down the barrel
1D2E0958-504B-4867-8EA5-6854C3DC0453.jpeg (213.5 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Best bud
Best bud
77955A43-ABB7-44DA-B1FD-66561591BC58.jpeg (151.08 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Suns just right on this patch of golden wood
Suns just right on this patch of golden wood
6BE77206-2FB3-430F-9423-CAC67FFC24D6.jpeg (204.54 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Light dancing on a tree
Light dancing on a tree
B3078634-DCC7-4B19-8DC1-0A293148D921.jpeg (197.33 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Sun sets on another day
Sun sets on another day
7451DC5E-95E7-4142-9AF8-15B493771F4B.jpeg (84.47 KiB) Viewed 626 times
The new Fred bear.
The new Fred bear.
3C0CB517-6185-4226-A47F-2352D5706E26.jpeg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

Re: Days gone by

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice write up Dave. We all can relate trust me.
I haven't been seeing hardly any deer ar9und lately to say the truth. Last week was a different story but this week has been slow on deer sightings. Most of my season has consisted of back problems, and now I'm sick as a dog with a flu. I been having to run a handful of traps is the only outlet I've had....flu kinda takes away the fun.
Glad you enjoyed your time out.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote:Nice write up Dave. We all can relate trust me.
I haven't been seeing hardly any deer ar9und lately to say the truth. Last week was a different story but this week has been slow on deer sightings. Most of my season has consisted of back problems, and now I'm sick as a dog with a flu. I been having to run a handful of traps is the only outlet I've had....flu kinda takes away the fun.
Glad you enjoyed your time out.
Aw man feel better soon!!

Mohawk

#4 Post by Mohawk »

Well you got to spend a day in the outdoors, that's worth a lot in itself! Any day hunting is the best day. :D The deer will come in time. Sounds like they've been pressured out of the area quite honestly, or at least into hanging in cover until dark. The bad thing about public ground is that it's hard telling how many were in there before you in prior days screwing you up. When human pressure drops off, the deer revert back to more typical patterns. You're doing good being out there anyway by learning the territory.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Area hunted today is very small 150 acres and it is hunted consistently by four bow hunters plus us. However, gun season is upon us and we can constantly hear the discharges. I have no doubt the deer feel pressured. Which is why we are gonna back off then for a while.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Dave, you are triple-blessed; first, to have a buddy like Will to hunt with; second, to have really excellent gear; and third, to grasp the concept that hunting is not about killing, but rather about spending time in God's beautiful creation sucking it all in and harvesting game if it happens to chance by, but if not, realizing that the day was not at all wasted, but rather savored and stored in your memory and the harvest simply saved for another time.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Yes yes yes. Kirk you hit the nail on the head. Triple blessed indeed. Papa Bear said it best “if you consider an unsuccessful hunt a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase illudes you all together.”

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

It's never a waste....there is always plenty to notice and learn about. So much that ive learned about nature and the creation is the result of noticing the things around me while I hunt, fish, hike, camp, etc. For years now, when I see something I don't know what it is, I gotta know or it drives me bonkers. That practice has opened up whole realms to me that before were obscured from my vision. Sometimes the tiniest things hold great wonder and beauty. There is not enough lifetime on this Earth to learn it all, or even to discover a lot of it. Look close....then search for answers. Amazing world we are living in.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

As usual shadow you articulate what I wish to convey. Well put friend. Yesterday’s investigation was a tree I’d never seen before. Also, I enjoy watching insects as the crawl around me. As I quiet myself, I find the hushed whispers of the forest transition to a quiet roar of diligence and survival that surround me, that before I was previously to hurried to hear. “Not all who wander are lost”

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great pictures and writing Dave, time well spent!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”