CO opening day, already messed up

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Longtrad

CO opening day, already messed up

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Well guys it is the first day of deer archery here in CO and I left out early this morning with my toelke pika in hand. The area I choose is a little dry creek bed that seems to always hold a few mule deer. I have access to the creek but not the flat ground on the sides of it so I have to enter at one end or the other and work my way through.

My original plan was to come in down wind, find a bunch of cover along a trail and wait, things were going well until the wind did a 360 on me. I should have packed up walked out and drove around to the other side of the creek but instead I got greedy and tried to sneak my way up past where I imaged some deer might be one the far edge of the creek.

So there I am bumbling along doing my best to be sneaky and quite but this is some thick stuff and I am making a fair amount of noise. The wind keeps changing angles and I am getting pretty discouraged and wish I would have made a better plan. About the time I think of going back and giving up, assuming all the deer have scented me, 3 does pop out.

They are staring in my direction and I freeze hoping they will settle back down. We play this game for a good while before they finally start to ease back into the area the were jumped out of. After they go behind some cover I think I am safe in slowly shifting my weight off my knee that is killing me by this point in time. NOPE . busted again, and they were outta there.

maybe this is a blessing since this area will hold some real monster bucks later in the year, I am also wondering how long I should rest the area before going back at it.

Graps

Re: CO opening day, already messed up

#2 Post by Graps »

That's hunting. To me that's a successful hunt.
Any close encounter is a good time.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: CO opening day, already messed up

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

That's hunting.
I would think 24-48 hours would be sufficient to rest the area.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”