A few videos from my last hunt

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
dhaverstick

A few videos from my last hunt

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I took Thursday and Friday off last week to go to my farm for an extended weekend of bowhunting. I saw a bazillion deer and had a fantastic time even though no new meat was added to my freezer. I had a great visit with my dad and he fed me quite well. I also got a lot of good video from the times I was out.

Doe under my stand: This was Thursday morning about an hour into my sit. To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart, "Of all the trees, in all the forests, and she had to walk under mine." This deer spent 10 minutes directly under me sniffing every leaf, twig, and dirt clod I had stood on. She must really have like the smell of Ever Calm! When she finally decided to leave, she walked straight away and then spooked; giving me no shot.

Nice Eight: Friday morning was wet which made hearing hard. This buck was right in front of me before I even knew he was there. He's about 5 yards away when he spooks. A lot of you would have probably taken a shot but I just didn't like my choices so I waited for a better angle. Unfortunately, I didn't get one. Oh, well, there's always next time!

Looking for love: This happened a little later that Friday morning. This spike was chasing a doe on the ridge I was hunting but he aborted his mission when he got a whiff of me.

Deer on the move: Saturday morning was prime! It was still and cold - perfect for deer movement and hunting. I could hear bucks chasing does all over the place! The forky came right under me about 20 minutes after it was light enough to shoot.

Missed doe: This was also Saturday morning. This doe had been chased by a small buck all morning. She came into the scrape the big buck had made the day before and offered me a fine angle. Unfortunately, I didn't hold low enough and shot right over her. The only thing wounded was my pride. I gotta remember to calibrate those sight pins on my longbow!

Darren

White Falcon

Re: A few videos from my last hunt

#2 Post by White Falcon »

Nice vids. Better luck seeing deer than me.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I haven't even got out yet.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Those are some great videos! What spooked that Doe so bad in the first video? And whatever did the Buck see that Made him panic?

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

Carpdaddy, in both cases I think I was winded. When they're that close, anything can happen.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounded like something else walking towards the Buck just before he bolted! Sometimes you just don’t know, can’t win them all, you have had some great hunts this season. Thanks for sharing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for sharing Darren! And congrats on being in this month's Tradition Bowhunter Magazine!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Cool Darren!
8-) 8-) 8-)
Hope you have better luck next time.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Great vids Darren! Thanks!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Greg Felty

#10 Post by Greg Felty »

Thanks for sharing. I'm not seeing much at all.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”