Bow hunting hogs

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
darrin

Bow hunting hogs

#1 Post by darrin »

This post is a question. I wasn't sure where to put it, so I thought seeking experienced opinion would be better than anywhere else.

I have a 45 lb samick journey recurve. it's the samick sage, but slightly longer limbs, instead of 62 inches it's 64 inches long. Anyway I've started getting a desire to bow hunt pigs. Is my 45 lb recurve heavy enough weight or should I look into something heavier? I'd be using 400 grain easton st axis arrows with 125 grain broadhead. Not sure what brand or model, but I'm leaning toward simmons shark, based on what I'm seeing on youtube. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Bow hunting hogs

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome Darrin, glad to have you here, thanks for your question. I personally think that a 45lb bow is plenty sufficient although I must admit that we don’t have/hunt hogs here in Ky. My preference would be a 500 spine with more weight up front, but I’m one of them, the heavyweights that is. Shooting a recurve that is probably cut to center I’d say the stiffer spine of your 400’s wouldn’t be a problem, front weight may not either, but my personal choice would be no less than 200gr point.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Welcome Darren.
I think your 45# will do just fine. It's more about shot placement.
Make sure you have a well tuned arrow and I know a few guys that hunt pigs and they prefer bigger fetching or even 4 fletch.
The reason is, the shot can sometimes be very close and you need that arrow to hit straight.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

I've skinned a domestic hog, but never hunted any wild ones. That hide is more substantial than a deer's. I'm like Carpdaddy in that I'd prefer a 500 spine carbon or a 1916 aluminum at 45#. Some of those Simmons Sharks got pretty wide. Are they having success with them penetrating on hogs? Old school was to shoot a heavy arrow with a lighter weight bow for penetration. On deer, I never felt that was necessary and always had good luck with my 2 blade 125's. There has been alot of work done with broadheads over the last 10 to 20 years concerning penetration of tougher hides. I've never needed it so I don't have any personal experience with those heads.

Extra weight and large feathers may be something for you to run some personal tests with. As has been already said, you want that arrow to stabilize quickly to aid in penetration. An arrow still yawing back and forth will not enter straight, but at an angle and bleed off energy that should be helping your straight line penetration.

Some of those videos that let you watch an arrow oscillating back and forth are surprising in how far they travel like that. Oh the joy of tuning.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

Do not shoot behind the shoulder like you would a deer. They have a 1" to almost 3" armor plate, ( grizzle). Hard to penetrate with a broad head. Try for a quartering away shot. A 40 lb. bow will put them down with a well placed shot. Use a good broad head as they have a lot of fat that can seal up the arrow hole. This will make blood trailing harder. They do have a great sense of smell and good vision.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

the Simmons treeshark is a mighty big head, I might bring some of those for smaller pigs and then maybe some leaner heads in case you ran into a brute. I think 45 pounds would work just fine on most of the pigs you will run across.

I hope your hunt comes together, I also would really like to take some pigs with a bow but havent had the chance yet.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

No experience here personally, but I've heard hogs are a hard kill. If it were me (and it's not...use your best judgement) I would opt for slightly heavier and shorter Sage limbs (if you are comfortable moving up in draw weight), with xx75 shafts to match spine-wise, four fletch and high % FOC with whatever broadheads you choose as sharp as humanly possible. And hunt elevated if you can. Those four-footed can-openers can make a mess of you if they are inclined to.
Drop by the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself to the boys!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

oops. I just now noticed this was your first post, and what a good question to start with. From what I hear, hunting pigs is about as much fun as hunting turkeys, which I always loved. Welcome and I hope you enjoy this forum as much as we all do.
Craig
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”