jumping the string

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Shadowhntr

Re: jumping the string

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

White Falcon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 am When a deer is spooked and gets ready to run, they drop to load up there legs for the run. This makes them drop. Kind of like a Track runner, to get power and speed.
This^^^^
Carpdaddy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:17 am An alert, nervous, or already suspicious Deer is a challenge with any bow. But I do prefer the more silent thump of my longbow over the car wreck sound of a wheelie bow!
...and this^^^^^
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

joe harrod1945

#12 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I lost years ago in never found it.I guess we all are part of the club.Do you ever have a hankering to get another bow.well wright now i do.I want a regular longbow not a hybrid.Years ago i had one had more fun with it than a recurve.I am looking to sell my k-mag or trade for left handed long bow 45#.I know you think i am crazy an i probably am but that is the way it has been all of my years hunting.My wife thinks i am crazy.I like my k-mag but i is right handed.I feel more comfortable left handed.I have killed a few with a longbow.There some thing about simplicity of a longbow with wooden arrows. Just go out an shoot until you think your good enough to kill a deer up to 15 yds.SIMPLE IS THE NAME NOW.

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

15 yards is good, 10 is even better. 20 or so can work, but your confidence has to be there. If your hide is good and your patience is good, your aim is good, a deer has a hard time jumping that string up close. You are probably shooting broadside or slightly going away. A perfect set up, if you can find one, for a successful hunt with traditional gear.

Mine was 10 yards up in an older, shorter tree with many branches on an old tree lined fence row between two fields that already had a path alongside it they traveled between to wooded areas. One side was crops and the other was help in crp and was tall grasses. They'd roam the tall grass and occasionally come near for a shot, but mostly it was the established trail alongside the tree lined fence row that brought the most success.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Joe, if you decide to sell the K mag shoot me a private message on price....that is if you dont mind shipping it. I understand if you dont want to mess with that. Let me know!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 am Joe, if you decide to sell the K mag shoot me a private message on price....that is if you dont mind shipping it. I understand if you dont want to mess with that. Let me know!
Man, I've always wanted a k-mag also!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

I've always wanted a K-Mag too.
Oh, wait, I have one :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 pm I've always wanted a K-Mag too.
Ditto.... ;)
Aim small, miss small!

Dan

#18 Post by Dan »

I have had way more squirrels and rabbits avoid well placed arrows than deer. Especially squirrels, they are pro’s at dodging arrows

Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am
Graps wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 pm I've always wanted a K-Mag too.
Ditto.... ;)
Not me!!! I was stubborn and stuck to my guns. I only bought the one on sale in 1969. A 45# 52" Ben Pearson HP52 that stacks an inch before I got to full draw??????????
The one on the left. Everyone was writing about short bows back then. Sure wish I'd listened to the owner who was trying to talk me up. Pretty zebra wood though. Large grip. I wonder if Fedora didn't have a little influence there. There is a thumb rest, though it's shaped from the riser and not laminated in like Mike Fedora does. I did finally take a deer with it though. Might have gotten the biggest turkey ever to walk in front of me with it from the ground in a make shift blind , if I hadn't hesitated, waiting for that "perfect" deer stand shot I was used to taking. I'd lost my small game instincts hunting in trees for so long.
pearson69.jpg
pearson69.jpg (45.62 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

joe harrod1945

#20 Post by joe harrod1945 »

Beautiful bows Graig

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”