Non Resident Hunt Challenge

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jamesh76

Non Resident Hunt Challenge

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

This one could be interesting. Here is the challenge which could be very beneficial for someone. So if your interested post the following to assist a fellow trad hunter with a out of state hunt on public or walk in type hunting. 1. Your State. 2. Best opportunity and type of perused game. 3. NR cost. 4. Links if available to provide public access to anyone interested. 5.best time of year/season to go. 6. Terrain type, average weather for that specific time of year.

Hill billy

Re: Non Resident Hunt Challenge

#2 Post by Hill billy »

Jamesh76 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:30 pm This one could be interesting. Here is the challenge which could be very beneficial for someone. So if your interested post the following to assist a fellow trad hunter with a out of state hunt on public or walk in type hunting. 1. Your State. 2. Best opportunity and type of perused game. 3. NR cost. 4. Links if available to provide public access to anyone interested. 5.best time of year/season to go. 6. Terrain type, average weather for that specific time of year.
Ok I love your intentions. Im even the one who ask for help looking for a last minute elk hunt! But with the web and access to info. People are very reluctant to give out info of that nature for fear of being out numbered when returning to there honey hole. I have personally experienced this. Im wondering if we should consider a system for PMs for members only so the whole world cant pull it up and look. At least we could help each other if its an option. If someone invited me on a good hunt my lips are sealed. And rightfully so. Gentlemen the terrain has changed on info. Just my opinion and not trying to step on toes 👍

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

There shouldn't be any honey holes provided here. As for Kansas. When I get the chance I will pull walk in hunting maps and state land including regulation links and prices. I will do one for whitetail here. Its upon who ever is interested to view aerial maps and topography to locate an area to their interest. The main point of this post is to share links to the information and a likely species as most aren't sure where to look. If anyone likes what they see and wants to inquire by PM or phone that's on them. But as this is a public page do not post specific locations to hunt.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Ok I'll bite. Louisiana is the state. Dewey wills wma, hunt the island its bow hunt only. Only hunted here one time on the recommendation of a bow shop. Between me and a friend we saw 4 deer in a single hunt. You will need a boat or canoe for access. Island is pretty big, scouting is recommended.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5147120068
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Hill billy

#5 Post by Hill billy »

Ok I think i get it! I can be a little sloow. 👍
Dont be afraid to tell me to keep my mouth shut. 😳 my wife has me trained

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Hill billy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:12 pm Ok I think i get it! I can be a little sloow. 👍
Dont be afraid to tell me to keep my mouth shut. 😳 my wife has me trained
Hill billy,
No need to worry. This thread is as much for me as anyone. I moved to Louisiana 6 years ago, since I stopped rifle hunting, which I was pretty successful at. Since this time I have bow hunted only for 5 years with over 40 public land hunts. I have seen very few deer but have yet to have a shot opportunity. I dont have any honey holes to share but my best hunt was at Dewey Wills.

Hill billy

#7 Post by Hill billy »

What part of Louisiana do you live?

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Hill billy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:24 pm What part of Louisiana do you live?
Unfortunately, Baton Rouge. Only thing I have killed with a bow are squirrels.

Jamesh76

#9 Post by Jamesh76 »

ok.... had all of this already typed and no clue where it went.
Try #2

Kansas Deer- Late Oct thru Nov.
Hunting Maps WIHA 2019 http://ksdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webap ... 3607674413
Kansas also has a lot of public hunting around the state lakes and reservoirs.
Some places require to long into I sportsman. https://kdwpt.isportsman.net
There are no check in stations in Kansas
Applications and Fees https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees
West of Hays is where Mule Deer and White Tail are Located, East Hays pretty much only White Tail
Temperatures in Oct-Nov will range from 65-70 down to 10-15 in November. It snowed last year early November and was around 15 deg. Can be quite windy, so have a windproof layer.
Terran varies by location in the state. Most is fairly flat with rolling hills. Some areas around Manhattan have quite the hills.... almost like mountains with deep wooded draws.
Main Airports are Kansas City and Wichita maybe Hays
Kansas is Draw only and typically have to be received by end of April. I believe application is a $27 fee.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice post, James!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”