Captainkirk's 2019 Hunting Thread

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Captainkirk's 2019 Hunting Thread

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, with the permit in hand for IBSP (Illinois Beach State Park) hunt October 8-14th, it's all systems go at the moment.
The decision was finalized last night after a short practice session to go with the K-Mag rather than the Grizzly as in past years. It's shorter, fills the hand better, and I shoot well with it. Plus the fact that It's mostly what Ive shot all summer gives me an edge.
Not having a bow quiver attached, I had two options:
1) Use the (somewhat noisy) Bear spring quiver from the Griz, along with the stick-on felt to quiet it down
2) Get a new quiver especially for a short (52") bow.
After much deliberation I decided to get a new quiver.
I looked at a bunch of quivers and narrowed it down to the Selway or the Eagle's Flight Archery, and EFA had the edge on price. I placed the order a short time ago, opting for the 4-arrow Cherokee in brown.

http://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/prod ... -cherokee/

Next on the list is a bow case that allows a strung bow with quiver attached and some new string silencers. Stay tuned!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: Captainkirk's 2019 Hunting Thread

#2 Post by stumper »

You are gonna love that quiver.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

Being a draw hunt for 1 week. Are you able to scout the area? Have you hunted it before? Any pictures?

Would enjoy hearing your approach on how intend to hunt this area.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks!
I just placed an order for a bow case that allows for a strung bow up to 62" and allows for an attached bow quiver, see:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers- ... -case.html

as well as a set of otter fur silencers:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/otter-fu ... ncers.html

Getting pumped up about this season, short though it may be!!!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am Being a draw hunt for 1 week. Are you able to scout the area? Have you hunted it before? Any pictures?

Would enjoy hearing your approach on how intend to hunt this area.
I hunted this zone 3 years ago (2016) and had a great ground blind site. If possible, I'll go back to the same spot.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Here is a link to the IBSP North hunting zone map where I will be hunting with 4 other hunters the week of October 8-12:

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Fa ... rthMap.pdf

My approximate blind site is at the bottom of the map (above the red NO HUNTING ZONE) about a half inch up from the middle of the trail (dashed yellow line). I only hope nobody else picked that site. I can begin pre-season scouting at any time but we've had so much rain last week that everything is badly flooded and I'm sure that area is as well. There is standing water in every ditch and low spot in our county. Hopefully I'll be able to scout next week or weekend.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Waiting anxiously for my package(s) to arrive. I've put aside my pink-fletched stumping arrows and have begun shooting with my field tipped arrows that match my hunting arrows. Will probably switch to the broadheads a week before season, but don't want to dull (or break!) them.
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#8 Post by Hill billy »

I have not tried the EFA quiver but it looks great. Just curious how many pemits they issue in that draw? Are you sharing that property with four hunters in your camp or is that overall how many drew a permit? Hope to see some good pics. Good luck

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

There are two hunting units, north and south. Each unit will have 5 hunters per 7 day week from October 1 through January when the season ends.
So around 150 hunters drew a permit for the season.
To clarify, there won't be a camp. This spot is five miles from my front doorstep so I can come and go at will. It really doesn't get any better than this... :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Some things are worth waiting for.

K-Mag with the new EFA bow quiver attached...

...and in the new 3Rivers bow case.

Hoping to get outside and try the bow out with quiver attached. This is going to be a marked improvement over stringing the bow in the parking lot of the public hunting area. Bows may not be transported strung unless properly cased in Illinois...a lot of latitude on that regulation, probably depending on the game warden's mood and interpretation.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”