Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Captainkirk's 2019 Hunting Thread

#71 Post by Captainkirk »

Day 5

I probably should have gone out this morning for the early hunt, but chose instead to do the afternoon hunt. As I anticipated, the winds were pretty hefty (17mph with gusting to 33) which kept any mosquitoes that survived the cold overnight temps (34F) unable to get airborne due to the stiff breezes. Needless to say, didn't need the Thermacell or repellent today!
Got out early afternoon, in stand before 2:30 and with the exception of the wind, you could not ask for a more perfect autumn day! By the time I got in the woods, most of the water had been dried up due to the winds which had howled all night. Probably made the deer somewhat skittish, but beggars can't be choosers, so I was happy to take what I could get. Never saw or heard any deer, but man, the trail was chock full of fresh hoof prints, and some of them big at that. Tried out my new doe bleat call, but got no responses.
So, sat there quietly until around five-ish, when the weirdest thing happened. Earlier I had seen movement through a break in the trees and got the binocs on it. It was some guy walking the trail, dressed in dark clothing and carrying some sort of canvas duffel bag. That was maybe, oh...3 o'clock-ish? Big husky feller. Well, around 5 o'clock I hear a noise on the trail behind my tree so I turned to see what it was. Here comes the husky feller (we'll call him "Chunky", like the candy bar), walking up the trail towards my blind. What the...? Is this guy lost? Hikers,bikers and dog walkers are supposed to stick to the trails, buddy.
He goes behind a tree maybe 40 yards from my blind and starts snapping twigs. Under my breath I'm muttering "Get the H-E-double toothpicks out of here!" and hoping the telepathy would work. Nothing doing...Chunky places something in the fork of a big tree and then leans over towards his duffel bag...I hear a hollow clank like tent poles or climbing sticks...oh, for the love of Mike! This guy thinks he's gonna set up a tree stand or a tent or sump'n! I give a quick cardinal whistle...phweeet! He stops, stands erect and looks around. I'm thinking, "Go, dang you! Get out of my shooting lane!" A line from Jeremiah Johnson crosses my mind; "I know who ya are...your the same dumb pilgrim I've been hearing for twenty days, and smellin' for three. And you, are molestin' my hunt!" Chunky leans over and I hear the clanking again...PHWEEE-oh-WEEEEET!!!!!! Much louder this time. Chunky looks around again, but still doesn't see me...but this time Chunky gets the memo. He stuffs his belongings back into the canvas duffel and tromps out the way he came, most likely dragging his scent all over the trails I tried so hard not to leave any on. I watch his dark figure bob out of sight. What the heck was THAT all about, I wonder? I'm thinking either he was a homeless guy camping where he ought not to be camping, or more likely, someone from next week's group coming out to set up a tree stand early. Which, by the way, is not only bad manners and unsportsmanlike, but against the IBSP rules. You set up THE DAY your hunt begins, and pack it out THE DAY your hunt week ends. No exceptions. Unless he was one of this week's hunters and didn't make it out until today, which is, well...stupid.
With Chunky out of the picture, I realize that he's probably blown any chance I had at seeing a deer to smithereens, and that's pretty much how it played out. I sat 'til the sun was down and visibility was going quickly with the light, so I packed it up and made the long trek back to the truck. Still, despite Chunky's antics and the stiff, cold breeze, it was a spectacular fall day!
No complaints, though a deer in the truck bed would've made it a tiny bit better.

View from the stand, in my 'shooting lane'. The forked tree about center in the photo is where Chunky was settin' up shop.

Straight up view. Chunky's tree is far right.

View to my left

Left rear

Rear 180. The broken off tree in the middle I have dubbed 'the pee tree' because, well...you know.When you gotta, you gotta

'Hunter's Moon' on the trail out behind a cluster of trees that marks the location of the huge chuck-hole. The moon looked a whole lot bigger in person than in this photo.

Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#72 Post by stumper »

Great stories. Looking forward to next ones.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

White Falcon

#73 Post by White Falcon »

Like you story!

Grizzly

#74 Post by Grizzly »

It's very enjoyable now to read others hunting stories. They bring back memories as well as placing me almost out there with you. Keep them up and good luck out there.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Greg Felty

#75 Post by Greg Felty »

Love your stories,Its like being out there with you.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#76 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, all! I like sharing.

Day 6

Every hunt has peaks and valleys. Yesterday was a peak. Today...not so much. :(
I decided to stay home this morning and go to church. Just wasn't up to that long mile walk in that early, after being out there that late last night. Came home, got ready and headed out early; in stand by a little after 2. I got settled in and hunkered down. I had started out wearing the long sleeve camo Tee after walking in, (I do the walk in wearing a thermal long sleeve and change it when I get to my stand) put the camo shirt on soon after, and before the first hour was up, I had the camo jacket on. Off came the cap and on went the fleece beanie. Temps were holding steady about with prevailing winds ESE maybe 7-10mph, but the humidity was 60%, skiescloudy and overcast, and that wind just sucked the heat right out of me like it had a Hoover attached. I amused myself by playing with the binocs; I spied a red-headed woodpecker up a tree, not rapping away, but clearly looking for someplace to bang on. After about 10 minutes of fruitless searching, he flew off for greener pastures. On the walk in, a pair of crows (Heckel and Jeckel) had found me and took turns jumping from tree to tree along the trail (yes, they were stalking me) and hollering "Awwwwww, Awwwwww, Awwwww!" at the top of their lungs. I assume that translated this would mean "Here comes that bow-totin' son of a biscuit maker again with broadheads! Run, Bambi!" Run he must have, 'cuz I didn't see hide nor hair of him, nor any other deer, for that matter. I think maybe Chunky put the hoodoo on me yesterday. In fact, every time I thought I heard noise way back in the brush, that noisy pair of jays from earlier in the week would start shrieking bloody murder, as if to warn whatever it was that I was lying in ambush...sort of a blue EWACS team. I pondered whether deer and other animals actually know that jays or crows are warning them, or if they pay no attention, and the birds are putting on a show for themselves?
At any rate, I knew I wasn't going to be able to stay until after sunset, as I had to go visit Mom tonight. I'd planned on sitting until 5:30, which I forced myself to do, but I wasn't enjoying the party, folks. By 4 o'clock I was shivering pretty violently and all I could do was lean the bow, arrow nocked, up against the tree, and hunker down to try to keep warm and stop the shivering. Nothing moved, even the noisy squirrels were quieter than usual. I hung in there like a piker until 5:27 and called it quits. Normally, the mile walk out takes 30 minutes, and tonight was no exception, but I usually reach the truck sweaty and hot. Not today. I was still chilled to the bone and in fact, even now (5 hours later) I still feel it. Nothing a scalding shower before bed won't cure, tho...
Another complication was, this cold windy weather turned on the snot-faucet while I sat there. Somebody's gotta sell a camo hanky, and I'm gonna find me one, because "Greensleeves" is NOT my favorite tune, fellers. My neck and shoulders are aching from carrying that pack and stool both ways for six days straight (naw, I'm not complaining, just whining a little) and my legs feel like Jello tonight. Guess a good night's sleep will fix me up some.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Tonight was definitely a 'bug' night.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#77 Post by Grizzly »

I took my first deer with a bow on an afternoon just like that. I didn't have a warm enough jacket with me as the wind and temp did it's chilling work. My muscles were so cold that I had to fight to get the bow string pulled back. That's another thing to consider when the body chills out like that. Will you be able to come to full draw and will you have to compensate for a short draw, if you can even take the shot.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

#78 Post by White Falcon »

I like those types of days.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#79 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 am I took my first deer with a bow on an afternoon just like that. I didn't have a warm enough jacket with me as the wind and temp did it's chilling work. My muscles were so cold that I had to fight to get the bow string pulled back. That's another thing to consider when the body chills out like that. Will you be able to come to full draw and will you have to compensate for a short draw, if you can even take the shot.
The thought crossed my mind more than once, Craig.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#80 Post by Captainkirk »

White Falcon wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 am I like those types of days.
Tough guy, eh?
Well, they say what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”