Another challenge in kansas

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Grizzly

Re: Another challenge in kansas

#11 Post by Grizzly »

and then, and then, and then......
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hill billy

#12 Post by Hill billy »

Sorry guys I'm still getting unpacked !!
So I still have this really small stretch of creek bed that I have permission to hunt. It is literally about 300 yards long and 75yds wide.( about the size of Noahs ark) ha. I set up here first hoping some of my public land places may clear up after the weekend. And Im seeing deer just not shooters. Its all good until Sunday morning and I awake with a major cold. The temps are falling with howling winds ,and my lovely wife had raided my medicine stash that I keep In my hunting luggage. To compound the problem. It is also about this time I realize I havent packed my cold fantic wear for sub zero temps. :shock: I forced myself to hunt for about 2 hours in single digit wind chill temps unwisely. Gentlemen there is no place open within a hour and a half round trip to get meds. Certainly no wally worlds. So I make the trip.Ok by now I am starting to wine a little. :cry:
20191111_084530-800x600.jpg
20191111_084530-800x600.jpg (140.03 KiB) Viewed 331 times
I lost my prize spot,lots of other hunters,sick,no meds, below 0 temps in forcast, and no fanatic wear. :( At this point I just want to feel better. Monday and tuesday were very short sits and miserable. Not very productive but things are about too change. To be continued

Hill billy

#13 Post by Hill billy »

Tuesday evening I made it out to a spot on public land that I have seen deer in the past. I set up on the ground trying to establish a game plan the rest of the week. When settled in, my phone began to ring . Irritated I casually slipped the phone out of my chest pocket and to my surprise it was the land owner that I had contacted earlier in the week. I realized who it was and done a maneuver simliar to that of fighting hornets in order to get my head gear off to access my ears and answer the phone. After recieving permission to hunt I couldnt finish the evening from the excitement and headed back the 25 mile drive to base camp in order to move stands and prepare for the rest of the week. Miraculously I feel better already. Wednesday morning is spent scouting I couldnt get in to my old stand location simply because there were 2 does and a shooter 8 already on site. I entered the property on the north end with a south wind blowing after I discovered a great location. In the mean while cuz had a nice shooter 8 down. If you have ever whitetail hunted in the west you know placing a tree stand in a cottonwood tree can be simliar to wrestling a bobcat. This particular tree turned out to be very time consuming. Finally at 3:25 pm I pull my bow up and put an arrow on the string. I intended on hanging it it up so I could put my shooting glove on. But to my surprise there is a shooter heavy 8 at 30yds to my hard right closing fast. What!!! I havent even got my glove on yet. Who needs a glove?

Hill billy

#14 Post by Hill billy »

My cuz shot this buck. It measured 20in inside spread
IMG_0953-600x800.jpg
IMG_0953-600x800.jpg (182.31 KiB) Viewed 320 times

Elkman
Site Admin

#15 Post by Elkman »

Nice!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#16 Post by Grizzly »

and then, and then, and then along came ........a pretty nice buck, I hope :lol:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hill billy

#17 Post by Hill billy »

Grizzly wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 am and then, and then, and then along came ........a pretty nice buck, I hope :lol:
Well this is a nice buck. He stood on his hind legs and hit a branch and really put on a show. But But the only shot i got was 12 yds hard quarter away. Not sure what happen but i have killed deer with this shot in the past. I gues I hit to close to the spine. Not good penetration and after 5 hours of tracking he was hitting scrapes and chasing does. A local even called to inform me he seen the buck chasing. So that is the good news.
Bad news ! I have hit a new low. The next morning was spent tracking and that evening I seen 2 does.

Hill billy

#18 Post by Hill billy »

Friday morning the wind was blowing out of the south. This was a gamble. I was expecting the deer to come from the south but the creek bed took a hard turn to the west and the wind seemed to be following the bed just ahead where the deer were coming from. At 7:30 I spotted a mature buck coming out of the corn from the west about a half mile off. Headed down to the canyon I could only hope he would head my direction south toward me. A few minuts later a forked horn came through. At 9:25 I looked down the creek bed and seen a buck with his nose up. I thought I was busted. Nose up he headed toward where the forked horn had traveled from. Then he turned toward me at 45 dg and headed my way with his nose still up. This was going to be close. At this angle he past right under my tree with my scent going right over him. Once past me I drew and watched the arrow pierce his side and blood gush out. He made it about 65yds and I thought I seen him go down.
20191115_093659-600x800.jpg
20191115_093659-600x800.jpg (199.91 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Hill billy

#19 Post by Hill billy »

The arrow entered behind his left shoulder and blew a hole through his opsite lower leg. Cant see that from the pics.
IMG_2371-600x800.jpg
IMG_2371-600x800.jpg (86.66 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Not the biggest buck in the woods but Im happy.
He actually should have been a 10. He had his small g4s broke off and part of his right I guard. My camara man needs a focus lesson

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

I wouldn't turn that down! Looks like a very nice buck to me!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”