Sometimes you just have to give up a tree

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Sometimes you just have to give up a tree

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I was walking in the dark along a creekbed that was full of hog sign, I had my climber on my back with my backpack and my bow in my hand. I was just searching for a decent tree that would be clean enough to climb and give me a decent shot over the small creekbed. It was a rather chilly morning and I could see my breath at times. I finally settled on a tree and soon was up about 15 ft or more. I settled in and turned my headlight off to wait for daylight. As the sun's rays high my tree, i began hearing some sort of a noise above me. So I got to looking up there for the source. Then I saw the first one slowly crawling around, a hornet. A second later, I made out the big nest about two feet from my head on the backside of the tree. It is amazing what can go thru your head in a moment like that and now I was in high gear to get down and gone. I just knew that I was going to get tagged before I got down even though I was being as quiet as possible. Finally I had verything gathered up and was moving on to a different tree in a different spot. Sure do hate the hornets, just about like getting shot with a 22. Of course, there is nothing like bringing a big hornet's nest inside the house on a cold day and have the hornets come to life after they warmed up. I do my best to get rid of a nest if one stings me, even if I have to come back after dark. When a hornet stings, my first thought is that i just got shot but upon realizing that it is actually a hornet, I am instantly on the move.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Sometimes you just have to give up a tree

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

YIKES!!!!
I had a nasty encounter about 5 years ago with a nest of yellow jackets that decided our tent camper would make a dandy spot for a nest. They were so bad that the wife and I surrendered the camper to them for the summer after getting stung multiple times trying to get rid of them. We waited for frosty weather to knock them out before moving in and removing the hive.
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

Re: Sometimes you just have to give up a tree

#3 Post by jaydee2trad »

Yeah, yellow jackets are bad little buggers. they just keep on stinging if you let them. have poured gas into the hole in the ground where they were coming out and then thru a match to it. Got stung in the crotch area, yeah the bad spot and it was murder. things swoll much bigger than they were meant to. the bowlegged walk LOL

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”