I have this Rule

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

I have this Rule

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have this rule and it is a very simple one, if a deer gives me a second shot after a miss, it pays for it. Several times, things just happen that cost me the shot but I was able to mouth grunt the buck back for a second shot and they paid for it. You think that you have a perfect shooting lane only to find out that there was on long briar hanging down and somehow I managed to hit it perfectly to kick my arrow off. One time I smacked the deer across the back end like you would with a switch, all because of one stupid briar. One time I managed to hit a small limb with my bow limb and that wasn't good at all but nothing bad happened to my bow. Anyways, if given a second opportunity, I have usually figured out what went wrong on the first and I do my best not to do it again. I once had the same seven point buck come back to the exact spot where I had just hit a stupid briar two hours earlier and missed the deer. It stopped in the exact same spot again and I didn't shoot because I knew the stupid briar was still there even if I couldnn't see it. That was the first and last time for that, I kicked myself because I had climbed down after the first shot to see what had happened and saw the stupid briar and didn't cut it down. But as a general rule, they pay for it!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: I have this Rule

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

This rule I like...
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have discovered that I have a remarkable ability to miss second and even third shots!
I remember once in my younger days during my compound years I emptied my three arrow quickie quiver, climbed down and retrieved them, climbed back up and later shot two more arrows! No deer were harmed, but when I told my camp buddies I thought they would bust a gut!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Way too honest. :lol: :lol: I try not to tell those stories. One time late season, last weekend actually, the "whole herd" came down the hill I was in a tree on. It was a beautiful sight and one I'll never forget as they came down in two's and three's all around me. What I try to forget are all the arrows scattered on the ground. That too was during the compound years and with one I never did get figured out. I've come to love those very late season hunts. One year I counted 16 bucks in the field I was sitting on. It was amazing to watch. Everytime a really big one would come out, they would all stop what they were doing and watch. It was a doe only weekend and I never did get a shot offered but enjoyed it all more then if i had.

I really don't remember having that many times I've had a chance at a second shot. It did happen one time with an older T.C. Hawken. I was up in a tree and missed a crazy head shot I'd tried. That was all that was available. Don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, I was able to quietly reload and made a killing shot. As I remember back to that day, I still laugh a little after that first shot. The deer shook his head like, what was that? It must have been real close.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”