Riding the Rollercoaster

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Riding the Rollercoaster

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I was trying to bowhunt this huge scrape that I had found under a big Dogwood tree. It was a dream scrape, more like three or four scraps joined together and deep. You smell the scrape before you got there and I just knew that it was the spot. Unfortunately, it was in this small pocket on a shelf of a finger ridge off the mountain. There was a steep gulley on either side of this ridge finger that went to another finger. The mountain wind was just terrible and swirled constantly to my dismay. So, I got busted no matter how I tried to hunt this scrape and I got very indirect. So one morning about an hour before daylight, I picked a good big pine and decided to take my stand up to about 33 feet or so in hopes of getting above the wind's affect. Everything was peachy king until about ten minutes before daylight when the sky really darkened and fast. Suddenly I was being swayed and rocked back and forth like crazy in a pretty bad storm. The whole time I was regretting on being in a pine for both the swaying and the fact that they uproot so easy. What makes matters worse, I get car sick very easy and with an IBS problem, it doesn't take much. I finally had a slight lull in the whipping and hurried down in the climber but I didn't get far. It is what it is. And that was the last attempt to hunt that scrape. That was in the early 90s.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”