Buck Down!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Nomad

Buck Down!

#1 Post by Nomad »

Hi, I haven't been here for a while, but I thought I would share this.

Totally screwed up a few days ago. Had a bigger buck than this come in to 14 yards in fading light and I shot just under his heart. Then he ran to 20 yards and I shot in the same place again. I was totally disgusted, I think I did the old short draw and did not pick a spot.

Back to the drawing board. Did a lot of shooting and mental preparation. Pick a spot, full draw. Filed my Bear heads to a ragged, sharp edge.

Went to a ladder stand where I had some smaller bucks come by 2 days ago. I had 5 bucks come out, none to big and they were feeding on Japanese Hop vines. I hear some scuffling behind me and see the bucks that were eating all looking in my direction. I look behind me, see some movement, very thick, and then there is the subject buck standing at the base of my tree, sniffing. Directly behind my tree. When he momentarily looked back, I stood up, my bow was already on my lap with arrow nocked. He stood there for 10 minutes sniffing and looking around. What a gorgeous animal, I was thinking. Then he started eating leaves off a branch that I trimmed when I got in my stand! He feed for a long time! :shock: It was really wearing on me standing at the ready for so long and not moving. lol I couldn't move though. Finally, he turned and started slowly walking away, but out from behind the tree. I raised my bow and he turned just enough so I had his whole side at probably 5 yard. I drew to full draw and hit him right where I was looking. He ran in an all out run for about 100 yards before going down. Pretty sweet after the screw up a few days ago. Thanks for reading.
IMG_5117.jpg
IMG_5117.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 438 times
IMG_5121.jpg
IMG_5121.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Attachments
IMG_5119.jpg
IMG_5119.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 436 times
IMG_5168.jpg
IMG_5168.jpg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 438 times

Jamesh76

Re: Buck Down!

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

Congratulations nice buck!

Hill billy

#3 Post by Hill billy »

That’s the way it happens on those biggins. Just can’t make that stuff up. Congratulations !!!!

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

Congrats on a nice buck
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Congratulations on an awesome Buck!

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

Very nice buck, well done Sir. the old Bear heads still have it! nothing like getting the blood pumping hard! and I am just hoping for any deer right now, blind in one eye and crippled up but still full of the desire!

Elkman
Site Admin

#7 Post by Elkman »

Congratulations on sweet looking Buck Mark!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

That is one nice, healthy buck! Congrats!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”