Backyard gobblers

Show us your trail cam pics
dhaverstick

Backyard gobblers

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Now this is what a person likes to see on their trail camera! This is at the bottom of the hill behind my house. I've got seven longbeards hanging out together and some of them are roosting about 100 yards from the back porch. I've only got 5 1/2 acres to hunt them on so I don't get to run and gun. I just have to sit still and hope for the best. I will start out hunting these birds with a selfbow. However, if things get desperate then I will tote along my new flintlock made especially for these critters. Come on, April 17th!

Darren

Shadowhntr

Re: Backyard gobblers

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice birds there! Is there any hens around Darren?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

Shadowhntr wrote:Nice birds there! Is there any hens around Darren?
Yes, there are hens around....there are ALWAYS hens around.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I got to get out and try this year! You mentioned selfbow Darren, what kind you got? You know we're going to need pictures of that. Do you whittle your own?

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

Carpdaddy wrote:I got to get out and try this year! You mentioned selfbow Darren, what kind you got? You know we're going to need pictures of that. Do you whittle your own?
No, I do not. I don't believe I would have the patience for it. All my selfbows are made by John Pruitt. He's the same guy who makes all my flintlocks. I've got six or seven of his bows. All are osage, some are bamboo backed and some aren't. This man is a bow building machine! He'll make you a bamboo backed osage bow with some slight reflex in it for $125 and he'll have it done in 2 weeks.

Here are some pics of the first two bows I got from John over 10 years ago. I had the shorter one made just for turkey hunting. That's the one I'll be using this spring.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow Darren; those are NICE!! Love the simplicity of the selfbow. If you got the patience to create those leather works you produce then you could do a selfbow. But at his price for that quality of a bow why would you? I'd stay with leather too. Love that unique bow rack also with arrows looking like a Turkey fan. Who came up with that?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Ditto on the bows AND the arrow rack! Too cool!
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#8 Post by dhaverstick »

I got that bow rack from a guy out in California years ago. He's passed away now and I've never seen another bow rack like it.

Darren

White Falcon

#9 Post by White Falcon »

Looked like dinner to me!

Return to “Trail cam photos”