Just Curious... Where Y'all from.. and Who hunts Elk... or Would Like too?

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Donnie

Just Curious... Where Y'all from.. and Who hunts Elk... or Would Like too?

#1 Post by Donnie »

To All,

I have been blessed with living most of my life surrounded by Roosevelt Elk, and Blacktail Deer, and have always enjoyed taking a few relatives (from back East) hunting here in the mountains of Oregon. But I was just curious... I was looking at the Elk Topic and noticed that the threads are very old, which kinda made me think that there may not be a lot of folks who get the opportunity to hunt elk. So... where are most of you from? Do you get much of a chance to hunt elk? And.... Well... ANYTHING else you want to talk about when it comes to elk!!!!! ;)
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

Graps

Re: Just Curious... Where Y'all from.. and Who hunts Elk... or Would Like too?

#2 Post by Graps »

No elk, there's a few in northern lower peninsula of Michigan but easier to hit the megamillion lottery than to draw a tag.
I hunt white tail mostly.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Kentucky, actually got drawn in 2016, the year I was dealing with cancer!! Been very little, never taken an Elk.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Illinois. Deer are as big as it gets.
Elkman (Tom) and Tradman (Larry) are both big elk-aholics here.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Yeah Donnie, I love to Elk hunt! Especially during the rut.
I live here in the Bitterroot Valley in western Montana.
This area used to be one of the hot spots to hunt Elk in Montana. The little town I live in is called Corvallis. Here in resent years a lot of the Elk and Muledeer have moved down and darn near live with us. 3 different times in the last few years I have found their droppings in our yard. During the rut last year I could talk to them from my yard. Very cool to be able to do 😎. I love to talk to them. Love seeing them and most of the time now I don't get to upset if I don't harvest one.

I also like to hunt Muledeer and Whitetail. Occasionally even Black bear.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

Southern Michigan. I have never hunted elk. I only hunt whitetails if you can call it hunting. I have got to the point that It is to much work to drag them out. I love being out there so I still go out.The last one I shot was in 2010 in southern Ohio. My hunting partner, my brother quit hunting so I got a small piece of land in Jackson County. So I go out and watch the deer and the antelope play. Well maybe not the antelope.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Louisiana. Never hunted elk but would love to. Still looking for my first deer harvest with a bow. All I have taken up to this point are squirrels with the bow. This is my year though. My adventures will be chronicled right here so stay tuned
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

We have been blessed by having access to family farms in Pike County Illinois about 80 miles from where we now live. My wife's family is from there and we tried living there ourselves early on in our marriage. We still call it home and love the time we get to spend there. For years I had 1200 acres to roam and hunt. Finally the pay hunters took too much of the fun out of it. I still have permission, but it's not the same. The last time I went, someone from half way across the country didn't know I was near. I could tell his muzzleloader was pointed my way from the sound. I saw the doe hit, hunch up and beat feet out of there. He later comes casually strolling out claiming he missed. That's what happens when a spot gets famous. Many farmers gain more income, but also many farms have been sold simply to hunt on. It changes the nature of the area somewhat and of coarse the composition of the hunters.

Since 2011 I enjoy being in Church with my brothers and sisters as much or even more than sitting in a tree watching squirrels and bluebirds or having hawks land next to you or a small bird land on your arrow. I've got enough antler material to keep a knife maker going for a lifetime, but each one is a memory of a segment of my life that I really enjoyed.

In my youth, I always wanted to hunt mule deer but never had the chance. The white tail kept me busy and satisfied. Besides, I felt so at peace each weekend as the wife and I were invited into her Aunts house. I had no desire to hunt anywhere else. At 70 now, what I think I miss the most is Dad and I hunting together the rabbits, squirrels, grouse and deer many, many years ago in the Catskills of NY and later in the very most northern park of Sussex County, NJ and Vernon Township. In those days, that township had a sportsman's club that was the size of many counties and with a simple request of the landowner, you were graciously given access to hunt.

A valley, behind our house was one of my favorite places to disappear for the day, as my knee was healing from a car accident right after coming home from VN. After we moved away, the valley and surrounding hills were sold and a ski resort was built. I still picture in my mind sitting under a pine, near a half frozen clear stream, with white birch all around and snow on the ground with my recurve on my lap.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

There are elk here in Kansas in a few different spots and the herds are stable and slowly expanding. I've never hunted them, or even tried to draw a tag but I guess I should figure out how to at least try. Oh I'm interested alright....its just going to require lots of planning, lots of luck to get a tag, lots of luck getting a good place to hunt them, not to mention I'm totally oblivious on where to start with elk. I'd be willing to try though. Like with most things I hunt, I just don't have a desire to kill one except via trad bow...lessening my highly unlikely success rate even if I got lucky enough to make the tag draw. Elk havent been my dream hunt, moose have that....but elk is certainly up towards my bucket top.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Lowcountry

#10 Post by Lowcountry »

I'm from Charleston, SC. I have hunted Elk once in my life, but I would love to do it again. Hopefully I will get another chance to, but I'm not getting any younger, and I assume the Mountains aren't getting any easier to climb.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”