Elk

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
hornfrog

Re: Elk

#11 Post by hornfrog »

Larry, still wondering about those elk permits. :roll:
"Nothing wrong with the quiet."

hornfrog

#12 Post by hornfrog »

Hornfrog to Larry. :?
"Nothing wrong with the quiet."

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

The Mystery Man!

Tradman

#14 Post by Tradman »

Sorry guys...Its up to around 800 for out of staters here.I rarely bugle anymore,only to locate but if i get a bull wanting to fight i will throw down with him and reel him in.The best cowcall in my opinion is the PRIMOS COWGIRL.Great call,bitedown type and very easy to master.The best bugle in my experience is the power bugle.Very simple to use..I took the tube off it and replaced it with a larger deeper one and put a few layers of foam in the end to get rid of the" Fake" sound.Called in a lot of bulls with it.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Tradman

#15 Post by Tradman »

If you really want to get crazy hunt the eaglecap wilderness.Big bulls in the caps if you know where to look.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

scaler

#16 Post by scaler »

Time to get this thread moving again!

As far as calling goes, I am a big believer in 2 persons, not just for calling, but for safety and an extra set of hands when the real work begins. Nice to sit and have a bit of conversation while eating lunch also.

Since finding some very light weight elk bags that are strong and tightly woven, I always have 4 with me so I can take the elk apart and hang in a tree to cool and get the meat out ASAP! The ones I found come in a stuff sack about the size of a cantaloupe only oval, adds nothing to the pack weight. Do most of you carry game sacks while bow hunting?

Kbetts

#17 Post by Kbetts »

I'm looking at the Caribou brand game bags. They seem to have a lot of followers.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

4dogs

#18 Post by 4dogs »

I use the cheese cloth type game bags. I also like to carry good chunk of lightweight screen material too. I wrap that around the game bags as an extra barrier. Someimes it takes this old man a day or two to get it all out and the bees around here are nasty. Have also used black pepper as a deturrent.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Since I don't get to hunt them big critters I am curious about the bow and arrow set up you guys use. Longbow or recurve, poundage, arrow weight, and broadheads?

4dogs

#20 Post by 4dogs »

Centaur triple 56# AD shafts 4by4 fletch, brass insert and 175 VPA 3 blade heads weighs in at 605.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”