Help me understand.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

Help me understand.

#1 Post by stumper »

I have heard it said that if you put a longer string on a bow it will lower the poundage. How does this work?? If you put say a 60 inch string on a 62 inch bow instead of a 59 and did not twist it up. You would lower the brace height and change the leverage of the limbs which I can see lowering the poundage a little bit. However, it seems like if you going to achieve the recommended brace height where the bow operates best you will have to twist it up to a point that it has become the 59 inch string. Too low a brace height seems like a good way to get string slap and make the bow very noisy. Am I missing something??
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Tradman

Re: Help me understand.

#2 Post by Tradman »

I think it might be a sort of a feel at the beginning of the pull type of thing where you are technically shortening up your draw length by having the poundage less at the beginning.Get a scale and test the actual weight and see if its different.I use a longer string sometimes and it sure feels lighter but that may only be at the beginning.I never scaled it to see for sure...I guess you could say its a kind of "Letoff" ?
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

A test!! Great idea!! I’ll post results and let you all know!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Tradman

#4 Post by Tradman »

Awesome man..Start out a half inch long then do one inch
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Idk about lengthening to weaken, but I did wind up a string on my wing and it took it from around 46lb up to about 49lb. The bow is marked 45lb @28. Of course the brace height is more, but according to the experts that bow is suppose to have an incredibly long BH. I been using the string that has been on it for many years (but at a much more relaxed BH) but idk what the string actually is, since Im not the one that bought it and put it on. If I remember right, I added about 1- 1/4" to the BH to gain the 3 pounds.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Curious to see some test results. I have heard it but never really questioned.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Hmm good question, I always aim for the shortest brace I can get away with. All of this stuff is hashed out on paper, it would be interesting to see some data from a real life test.

From what I understand brace height works like so

a taller brace height will:
1. Increase draw weight
2. Decrease arrow speed
3. Soften the dynamic spine of the arrow

a shorter brace height will:
1. Decrease draw weight
2. Increase arrow speed
3. Stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow

dougedwards

#8 Post by dougedwards »

Longtrad wrote:Hmm good question, I always aim for the shortest brace I can get away with. All of this stuff is hashed out on paper, it would be interesting to see some data from a real life test.

From what I understand brace height works like so

a taller brace height will:
1. Increase draw weight
2. Decrease arrow speed
3. Soften the dynamic spine of the arrow

a shorter brace height will:
1. Decrease draw weight
2. Increase arrow speed
3. Stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow
That is correct. In essence you are making the string shorter when you put additional twists to it. The shorter string taxes the limbs more thus creating additional stress to increase holding weight.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Return to “Campfire”