My 2019 Moose Hunt - Not What I Hoped For

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

My 2019 Moose Hunt - Not What I Hoped For

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Late last week I returned from my 8-day moose hunt in British Columbia. I had booked this hunt almost 18 months ago with Big Country Outfitters in BC. My buddy, Bret Shaw, and I stayed in a little cabin with two guides on Margaret Lake which is about 70 miles northwest of Prince George, BC. At least one of us saw a moose every day but we were never able to stretch the string on a bull. For some reason the bulls didn’t appear to be rutting in the area so that made calling them in difficult. We had a couple of days of crappy weather which didn’t help either. Another big problem we faced was the fact that neither one of our guides knew the first thing about bow hunting. One of the guides had never even been in the area before we pulled up in front the cabin with our gear. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard one of the guides say, "If we were rifle hunting, we would..." To say the outfitter totally dropped the ball on this hunt is an understatement! It was what it was, though, so Bret and I made the best of it. It was great to spend time with him again and we got to see some beautiful country. We also got plenty of exercise and ate very well. Here are a few photos from the trip.

We drove 90 minutes from Prince George to a place where we left the trucks. Then we rode quads back into the bush at least another hour to reach the cabin. One of the quads never would start and the guides, Shawn and Tom, spent over an hour trying to get it to run. That pretty much set the tone for our hunt.

Margaret Lake

Home sweet home for the next 8 days

Roughing it

The closest I got to a moose

A typical day of hunting for me went like this: Shawn and I would get dropped off at the east end of Margaret Lake just after daylight and we would walk out to one of the cut blocks of timber. From there, we would glass, call, and walk back to camp sometime around noon. That was usually a 6 or 7 mile loop. That afternoon, we would drive the quads back out to the cut blocks and do the same thing only from the back of the bikes. Shawn was big on road hunting. Setting up a bowhunting ambush was not in his toolkit.

Bret Shaw ready to hunt

A typical day for Bret and Tom went like this: They would motor around the lake trying to spot a moose feeding. If they saw nothing then they would park on the shore and bust brush all morning trying to find a moose. They would repeat the procedure in the afternoon. I guess the guide, Tom, thought they would somehow miraculously sneak up on a bull within bow range while doing this. Oddly enough, they did come the closest. They saw two immature bulls; one at 75 yards and one at 40 yards. Tom was upset that Bret didn't borrow Tom's rifle to seal the deal.

My guide, Shawn.

One evening, Shawn and I actually had a real moose hunt just like you see on TV. It was almost dark and we were walking back to the quads to go back to camp. A cow was standing near the bikes so we stopped and Shawn called. A bull immediately answered about 100 yards away and started coming in. We had about 15 minutes of shooting light left and I told Shawn that the bull was going to have to be close. The bull was still out there but it got too dark to shoot. The cow had left so we walked down to the bikes. Shawn started calling to the bull again. I thought this was foolish because it would make the bull call shy and I told him so. He said he wanted to see what the bull looked like and continued calling. The bull came in, tearing up brush and grunting. He stopped about 50 yards away. Through the binoculars we could see he was a monster. He finally turned and went back the way he had come. We never heard or saw him again.

Scenery

The silver haired hunter

Last day at camp

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My 2019 Moose Hunt - Not What I Hoped For

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow, sorry to hear things didn't work out. But...that's wht they call it hunting, and not shooting (or killing). At least you saw some beautiful country, but with all the cash you must have laid out, plus time off, I think I would be disappointed as well. It's really an injustice to the hunters when you have guides that aren't prepped for bowhunting, especially when you've booked well in advance.
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

Kirk, the main problem was not having any responsive bulls. But you then start wondering if your guides would have handled things differently had they been bowhunters. The camp the outfitter was running to the south of us killed 3 bulls - all rifle kills. My buddy, Bret, saw the same cow and calf about every day and they hunted around her in hopes that a bull would show up.

I'm not that disappointed about the lack of opportunities - that's hunting. What got me upset was the way the outfitter handled the whole thing. We never even got to meet the guy! I know if a couple people had paid me the kind of cash we paid him, I would have felt obligated to at least meet them at the airport or come out to their camp to see how things were going. Oh well, live and learn...

Darren

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

Sorry for your bummer hunt. I think there is a lot of hunts like this out there.
I also think if you think you got a screwing, you can report the head guy and have his license pulled.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Buy the way, those arrows are too perdy to shoot at a moose. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Beautiful pictures! Sorry for the way it turned out, unfortunately sometimes we become the prey, wish there was a sure fire way of knowing more about them than the experience listed with their name. Glad to got to spend the time in a beautiful place with a good friend.

Nock

#7 Post by Nock »

See any other animals while there?
Happiness is a tight chain!

dhaverstick

#8 Post by dhaverstick »

Chris, I saw a black bear sow and her cub and lots of grouse. We hear wolves howling one morning before daylight - that was cool! Also heard coyotes howling about every day. Saw a lot of elk sign and heard a bunch of cow elk chirping one morning. I saw three bull moose, one of which was a monster, and three cow moose. My buddy saw the same cow and calf moose about every day. He saw a lot of cows and two immature bulls.

The lack of sound was the most interesting thing about the bush of British Columbia. Where I live in Missouri, the woods are full of noise no matter what time of day it is. You learn at an early age to filter out the background noise of insects, frogs, and whatnot to listen for the sounds of your prey. In BC, the woods were mostly silent; no insects, no frogs, and very few birds. It was actually kind of eerie.

Darren

Nock

#9 Post by Nock »

I was going to ask about wolfs. That would be awesome to hear. Thanks
Happiness is a tight chain!

dhaverstick

#10 Post by dhaverstick »

The coolest thing about hearing the wolves howl was how unmistakable it was. I've heard coyotes howl my entire life and this was completely different. It was lower in pitch and a lot more full bodied. It sure raised my hackles up!

I gathered that the general opinion of wolves in BC by the locals is that they are vermin and should be killed at every opportunity. Right or wrong, they were the scapegoat for the population decline of every game animal there. I was shocked to learn that their pelts were worth the same as a coyote even though they are much bigger and the fur is thicker. I think a non-resident wolf tag is somewhere around $50 - maybe less. Our guides were of the attitude of shoot now - worry about paperwork later. I personally have no desire to kill a wolf but that's just me.

Darren

Return to “Campfire”