Where do you live?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Margly

Where do you live?

#1 Post by Margly »

Hi!
Since the site is starting to take form and we are growing every day I`m curious about where my fellow tradhunters live?

I`m living on the westcoast of Norway in a place called Surnadal.
Its a very nice place with lot of mountains and great nature.
My home is located in the shore of a small fjord, and with a boat I`ll use three hours and then it`s out in the North sea.
I have salmon and trout rivers just around the corner.

The hunting here is mostly for grouse, goose, deer, Norewegian moose,(smaller than the ones you have in the US) roedeer, and the usual fox, common hare.

Where do you live?

Margly
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are !

Red Tailed Hawk

Re: Where do you live?

#2 Post by Red Tailed Hawk »

I live on Long Island, New York. Tough area to be a hunter as it has been overbuilt, and most hunting opportunities left are on public land. Mainly hunt deer, pheasant, squirrel here. The fishing on the other hand is great and one can really enjoy fishing for many species the atlantic has to offer. Great topic. Cliff
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed.

snag

#3 Post by snag »

Hi Margly, sounds like a beautiful place. Kind of my "homeland" in that my mother's side of the family tree came from Norway. I my younger years I used to have a full beard and long hair. When traveling in Europe the little kids used to laugh and point at me and call me a Viking! haha
I live in the Willamette Valley in western Oregon. I am 60 miles from the mountains and 60 miles from the Pacific ocean. Lots of high mountain lakes with fishing opportunities. There is the McKenzie River that flows through the valley that offers trout, steelhead and salmon fishing. But this area has gotten too populated for me. Looking to move after living here all my life. We will move to the central part of the state in a few years if the country and economy doesn't fall apart!

TradRat

#4 Post by TradRat »

Right up the road from Snag.
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

AWPForester

#5 Post by AWPForester »

I live in Princeton, WV. It is in the southern part of the state. Our terrian here is very rugged with lots of mountains and with 80 percent slopes. Very rough and rugged. The highest peaks are only a little less than 5000 feet but it makes up for that in vertical prowess. With terrian that way there are many critters that call my neck of the woods home. Deer, Turkeys and bears are the norm for big game and we have some excellent fishing, both wild and stocked trout and some of the best smallmouth fishing in the world, with all the rivers. WV is called the birthplace of rivers, so water has been a big part of my life, whether fishing, or recreation.

Lived in several states and traveled and hunted several more, and WV has the best hunting of any where. The terrian makes for many oportunities if one is willing to work for them. The Lord really has blessed me.

ronyag

#6 Post by ronyag »

I live in central Minnesota near St Paul. I have been here for 15 years. The hunting in MN is good to very good depending on what you are going for. There are plenty of Whitetail but hard to get anything over 170" as it is a common practice to kill spikes and forks here. I let them go and wait for a juicy Doe. Turkey are coming back very well. Rabbits are getting rare. Squirrels are everywhere. No hogs here Dang It! Upland grouse are good in 7 year cycles [good right now]. Going to do some carp bow fishing this May.

I lived in Califorinia for 26 years. The Deer hunting was terrible then and from what I hear, still pretty bad. They timed the Deer season for the hunter to not be successfull. Killed my share of Mountain Quail and Morning Dove in CA. Sure would like to hunt Hogs in CA now.... I hear there are plenty ut mostly private land.
R Gaynor

Tradman

#7 Post by Tradman »

i live on a small planet called centauria :? just behind you earthlings moon.i walk through the forest daily picking centaurs as they ripen :shock: and bundle them up to comfort them until i get around to shooting them all :roll: ......HUH!!!! OH!...HEH! HEH! dang man...dreamin again. :P
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Bowferd

#8 Post by Bowferd »

I reside in the hills, east central part of the state of Nebraska. Closest town is just over 3 miles with a population of 218, give or take. Out here there are no cities closeby but we enjoy the solitude and find what is neccessary. Except for groceries and fuel most of my shopping is done online because the shipping rates are cheaper than gas.

BBWV

#9 Post by BBWV »

I also live in WV, a little town called Fayetteville, that is located next to the New river. I do most of my hunting on timber company track of land (10 thousand ac) We have deer, bear and lots of turkey. We have some really good trout streams and some very good lakes to fish.
This is my home, and a great place to live and to bring up a family.

Jim Stewart

#10 Post by Jim Stewart »

I'm in South Carolina, right in the middle of the state - 'bout 2 1/2 hrs each way to the mountains or seashore. This is a terrific state for hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, etc. We've numerous large lakes and many rivers (and the Atlantic) for pretty much any kind of fishing. Bear, deer, turkey and wild hog are the primary big games species. The first pic is looking out from my ground set-up on one of the islands just off the coast. The 2nd is one my good friend/hunting buddy took of the shoreline near where we do a good bit of hunting.
Attachments
Botany 1.jpg
Botany 1.jpg (137.68 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
paradise 4.jpg
paradise 4.jpg (74.01 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

Return to “Campfire”