Snuffer Sharp?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
AWPForester

Snuffer Sharp?

#1 Post by AWPForester »

Howdo you guys sharpen s snuffer head, and how long does it take?

Tradman

Re: Snuffer Sharp?

#2 Post by Tradman »

I 100% recommend the snuffer tamer.three rivers has it.works great.it changes the angle of the bevel on the blades and gets them sticky sharp. :shock:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Jim Stewart

#3 Post by Jim Stewart »

I use a 14" Grobet (Swiss) file - takes a bit to get all the edges straight (from tip to back), but after that it's pretty easy to get 'em hair shaving sharp.

Bowferd

#4 Post by Bowferd »

Jim, do you just lay the blade on the file and run it one direction until enought steel is removed and then proceed to flat stones?

Jim Stewart

#5 Post by Jim Stewart »

Yep. "Paint" the edges with a Sharpie marker to let me know when I've removed enough steel (I sharpen by pulling the head tip to back down the length of the file), then progressively lighter strokes until it's hair-poppin' sharp. A few very light passes on a good flat stone = scary sharp. I "pyramid" the tip with a file, or reverse the head and lift up as I sharpen so the tip is a "rounded" point (dunno if this last sentence makes sense...?). Am sold on Grobet files - make all others I've used pale in comparison - I shoot 160 gr heads, so it takes a 14" file to get the width I need.

Jim

Return to “Campfire”