Finally found some mushrooms!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Finally found some mushrooms!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

My old reliable spot payed off again. I was walking my bloodhound, Jake, yesterday afternoon and casually glanced under my big apple tree in hopes of spying a morel. With the current cold snap, my expectations weren't that high but, to my surprise, I spotted over a dozen of these little beauties just waiting to be picked.

It's odd. At the bottom of my property it stays damp most of the time and should be ideal mushroom growing ground but I could count the number of morels I've found down there on one hand. Meanwhile, on top of the ridge where my house is, right in front of my dog pen, I regularly find morels underneath a big cottonwood and my apple trees. Go figure? I am not complaining, though. It's easier mushroom hunting territory and I don't have to walk as far.

I also found a couple of moose ribeyes lying in the bottom of my freezer last week. I am going to combine those two to make a meal fit for a king! Now if I can just get some fresh turkey breast...

Darren

Shadowhntr

Re: Finally found some mushrooms!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Starting here to Darren. Found 36 at the first of this week.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice! Sounds like you have an awesome back yard with Turkey, mushrooms, and Moose! :lol: Well; Maybe not the Moose.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Nice! Sounds like you have an awesome back yard with Turkey, mushrooms, and Moose! :lol: Well; Maybe not the Moose.
Not moose, but maybe "mouse"....
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

That's like finding gold to me! I been lookin about every day one place or another and have yet to fetch. Maybe this weekend will give em some height that I can finally spot em.

Kybownut

#6 Post by Kybownut »

Good deal, found 28 yesterday

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Where did you fellers pick up your mushroom know how? I have always been afraid to even touch the ones I've found.

dhaverstick

#8 Post by dhaverstick »

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but here in Missouri folks go nuts over hunting for morels in the spring. It works in nicely with two other popular springtime activities; turkey hunting and crappie fishing. So there is a ton of information published about the what, where, why, and when of finding morels. The Missouri Department of Conservation even has a booklet available on the edible mushrooms that can be found in our state.

Darren

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote:Where did you fellers pick up your mushroom know how? I have always been afraid to even touch the ones I've found.

Some mushrooms are difficult to identify, and require spore patterning. However the morel is a pretty easy one to ID. There are only 3 main types. Common (yellow) morel, black morel, and half-free morel. The first two are easy, because any look alike toxic shrooms can be eliminated by a close inspection of the cap and how it is attatched to the stem. These baddies are known as false morels. The Verpa species is the one most closely resembling true morels. But, with false shrooms, the cap is only attatched to the stalk at the very peak of the cap, where as true common or black morels caps are fastened to the stalk the entire length of the cap. Half free morels are a bit different, where as, the name implys, the lower half of the cap is free in suspension similar to a false morel but instead of being attatched only at the top peak like a false m., they are attatched at least half way down the cap or more. Sounds risky but a simple slicing down the middle makes it super easy. Here is a link to some basics.

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/mo ... 4bsxh.dpbs
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cookies

#10 Post by Cookies »

That's awesome! I'm gonna have to go out now, see if I can find any of these wonders! Thanks for the link, Jason!

Return to “Campfire”