leather lace?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longtrad

Re: leather lace?

#21 Post by Longtrad »

Well thanks Kirk, but I wouldnt say I have any type of gift. This thing can be made by anyone, the only trick is careful measurement.

I got a strap attacked to it but I think I either need to bevel the sides of the strap or use thinner leather for it, this thick stuff kind of cuts into your neck.

This is a really BIG quiver, I'm not sure why I decided to make such a big one since I rarely use more than 3 arrows, 6 if I'm feeling like doing some flinging.

I feel a bit like a turtle wearing this big old thing.

I'm working on breaking it it in now just by wearing it and using it. Still haven't put any oil on it as I have not yet decided if I want to do any carve a picture into it.

Longtrad

#22 Post by Longtrad »

My Wife likes the clean plain look, but I was king of thinking I would do some tooling on at least one of the quivers, I have been thinking I would either do a big feather, a antelope, or some local petroglyphs, what do you guys think?

Shadowhntr

#23 Post by Shadowhntr »

The sky's the limit!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

My wife is a lace fan. She makes purses and will have fringe all the way around.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Tom M

#25 Post by Tom M »

I am “kind of” making a quiver like your working on. I bought a side of English Bridle leather. I have made a few from Latigo but that stuff bleeds color on your shirt forever. I figure I can get three Hill style quivers and maybe a side quiver from the side. According to a couple people who sell these for a living this Bridle leather doesn’t bleed or crack in cold weather. Will see. Right now I am making the patterns.
Working this in with a gun rack for my son-in-law, a clock for the Sister in Law and keeping up with my never ending arrow making so progress is slow. Being retired is WORK!!!

Longtrad

#26 Post by Longtrad »

I learned something new. DO not leave your metal square on top of wet leather to make it dry straight. leather must be acidic... made little black spots where the square was.

Graps

#27 Post by Graps »

:shock: Ah, yes, I've done things like that.
That's how we learn. I now let it dry and just straighten it by hand.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Tom M

#28 Post by Tom M »

Always use a piece of lace longer than the area to be laced. Or do what “book” says and use a heavy string or fish line first, then measure. Splicing the lace can be a bear especially trying to hide that splice

Shadowhntr

#29 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm learning from you fellas! Keep up the good conversation!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”