Selfbow project

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

Selfbow project

#1 Post by stumper »

Alright... Thinking about a second attempt on a selfbow project. First attempt had paper thin rings on my piece of Osage (what did I expect for $20.00) and was unable to get a ring no matter how careful I was. Since this attempt, I have done a ton of reading and believe I am much more informed on choosing a good stave. Found a reputable source of wood and am actually going to the inlaws soon to harvest a batch of pecan which I will dry for probably a year. I love all my current bows and I will say Jose makes the most beautiful bows, but when it comes to me making a bow the selfbow calls my name not laminated bows... No idea why... If I had to guess it is all of those Clay Hayes videos I watch... Anyway, this reputable source is not cheap (wood is already dried) and have four options for wood staves, so I wanted to get your opinions on which wood you would like to see attempted and why. I will be doing this entire project with my Hunting the Osage book in hand and will likely take a long time to make, as I have very little spare time. Each of the woods presents a challenge in its own right whether that be the way the wood is worked or climate. My goal is lofty, it is to have a hunting bow ready for September. I wish I knew how to create a poll but here it goes.

Option 1: Black Locust price $75.00
Option 2: Hickory price $90.00
Option 3: Red Cedar $90.00
Option 4: Osage $140.00

As previously stated these staves comes ready to go and yes some of them would need to be backed. In fact, because I am in a very humid environment, it is likely that everything except Osage would need to be backed (Hickory might be able to be unbacked but it would have to be very well sealed). Hickory would be the easiest to work with, but I am not necessarily looking for easy and my climate is high humidity. Black Locust and Osage are a little trickier to work with but both yield awesome bows and were each preferred by various native tribes for bow wood. Red Cedar is beautiful is an interesting choice but would definitely need to be backed. Now for bow backing, I already have two beautiful matching strips of rawhide directly from Clay Hayes that are just waiting to be used if necessary. Looking forward to your opinions.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Selfbow project

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I vote Osage hands down. Probably the best choice of bow wood historically. I would use the backing from Clay regardless of wood.
Aim small, miss small!

Tradman

#3 Post by Tradman »

Yew is good for selfbows I hear.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote:I vote Osage hands down. Probably the best choice of bow wood historically. I would use the backing from Clay regardless of wood.
You would back Osage even if you were able to not violate a ring?

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Tradman wrote:Yew is good for selfbows I hear.
Do you know a good source?

Tradman

#6 Post by Tradman »

Al has a bunch,i will ask what he wants for a stave
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Tradman wrote:Al has a bunch,i will ask what he wants for a stave
Cool. I do not know the first thing about yew other than it is a good bow wood.

Tradman

#8 Post by Tradman »

It grows here on the westcoast,very slow growing.Great tonal quality for musical instruments.Very smooth as core wood in lam bows.see a lot of them as selfbows around here.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Tradman wrote:It grows here on the westcoast,very slow growing.Great tonal quality for musical instruments.Very smooth as core wood in lam bows.see a lot of them as selfbows around here.
Just watched a yew build a long and it was amazing and beautiful... I called the previous sourced mentioned and of the four that I had mentioned, he said Osage. He said Black Locust is not forgiving, Red Cedar has moisture problems and not forgiving and said Hickory would be a noodle. From what little I have read Yew would be great in my environment. So looks like either Yew or Osage are the best options. How do I create a poll on a page???

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

dahyer wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:I vote Osage hands down. Probably the best choice of bow wood historically. I would use the backing from Clay regardless of wood.
You would back Osage even if you were able to not violate a ring?
Based on your comments about humidity; yes.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”