Stove with you while hunting?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Stove with you while hunting?

#1 Post by Graps »

Do any of you carry a small stove or something with you while hunting?
You know, like a can of Sterno with a folding pot holder.
I have done that in the past to heat up a cup of water to make tea.
I used to do that years ago when I would stay on stand all day.
I was just wondering if any of you used to or still do.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Stove with you while hunting?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

No,I haven't had a Sterno stove in decades. I have been known to take a thermos on stand though.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

I'm with Kirk. I take a thermos of coffee. I haven't been farther then 900 feet from my truck in the last 4 years. :D
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Yeah I take a small penny stove I made out of a coke can for ultra light hiking.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Flemish Dave wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 pm Yeah I take a small penny stove I made out of a coke can for ultra light hiking.

Those are so Cool! I've wanted to make one myself but haven't yet.

I do not and have not carried a stove hunting. I'm just too close to my truck and home. Thermos for me too.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

I used to have a little white gas stove for backpacking in a normal backpack along with a hatchet, extra clothes, extra game bags, flashlight, knife, etc, etc, etc. Since I do most of my hunting in the Mountains, I would always have this extra pack in the truck just in case. One day I was getting firewood on my way out. I sat the pack on the edge of the road, loaded my wood, jumped in the truck and went on home. Oops, I left my pack :o :oops: :x Needless to say it was gone by the time I got back up there. What a bone head move! There was probably $250 of stuff in that thing. I never bothered to replace the little stove.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

That sucks.
I have done things like that. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

I think most of us have done something like that.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yeah....mine was my irreplaceable Grandfather's shotgun. Back then, I was pretty poor and Dad wanted me to go pheasant hunting with him and my younger brother and the only shotgun I had was my Grandfather's that he had since he was 13. I had a dog that would hunt, and while tending to my dog loading him up I leaned the gun on the front bumper. Once loaded we drove off, and was about 5 miles from the spot when It hit me. We rushed back, and about a mile before we got back we past a truck hauling butt the other way. I had a dark gut feeling they had my gun and told Dad as much and wanted to follow them. He said if they did they wouldn't stop for us or admit they had it anyway so we kept going plus what if it was still there? Of course when we got back there it was gone. I bawled like a fresh butt smacked baby for an hour solid and was sick to my stomach for days on end. It STILL bothers heck out of me 30+ years later. It wasn't fancy at all, an old Iver Johnson 12 ga single shot....but it meant a mountain to me. It kills me thinking what some A hole might have done to it...or where its even at...
I know this isn't about a stove graps, but Toms story brought a rush of that memory and I had to dump my guts about it. Carry on.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

:| :? Yep, them kinda things happen........

Return to “Campfire”