Joining the perch

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

Joining the perch

#1 Post by stumper »

Climbing tree stand will be here Friday. Also Picked up some magnus snuffers I’ve been eying for over a year. Can’t wait guys.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: Joining the perch

#2 Post by Graps »

Stay safe. Those tree stands scare me. I fell 20+ feet from one several years ago.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Will do. Were you wearing a harness??

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I had a few bad experiences myself. Be careful up there.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Which climber did you get Dave?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Summit Viper mini SD

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Viper are good stands I like mine though there is a learning curve to shooting out of one.

I bought the Razor SD top, because you can swing the bar out of the way. A couple things to watch for other then the obvious saftey precautions. Hard, tight, thin bark will allow slippage because the teeth dont have much to grip so avoid those and opt for medium coarse barked trees when at all possible.

Secondly, never lean against the side rails of the upper portion. Lean all day long on the front but side rail leaning will dump you in a heartbeat.

These things are the most comfortable seat I've ever hunted from on ground or in the air. Love mine.

Used right, they are much more safe then portable stands with steps. IMO ladders are best, but climbers are right behind them in my book. Did I say I love my climber? Lol. I'm pushing 6ft tall, and 270lbs with chronic back problems and ankle problems and I've used tree stands for years with little to no problem. If you are afraid up off the ground do not push it just hunt the ground. Being afraid will get you hurt. Get to know your saftey equipment and how you need to use it and you are safe as can be. Ask arborists who climb all over tree tops, jumping out from them, getting clear in the tops....they use lots of saftey gear including climbing ropes but its amazing what can be done safely if you know what to do and use your saftey gear.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Thanks Jason!

Return to “Campfire”