which bow to hunt need your help

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
joe harrod1945

which bow to hunt need your help

#1 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I have a recurve bow 45# an a hybrid long bow 40#.I am shooting a arrow xx75 2215 with 5" feathers. the arrow weights 480 grs with bear razor heads.i can not shoot over 45# with out a lot of pain.all advice needed.

Graps

Re: which bow to hunt need your help

#2 Post by Graps »

For deer, that 40# would do just fine.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Hmm I would do one of two things. If it hurts to shoot 45 I would just forget about that bow OR if you are accurate with it just use it for hunting and keep your shots with it to a minimum.

I would probably do #1 myself.

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

I would go with the one you shoot the best.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

joe harrod1945

#5 Post by joe harrod1945 »

will 40# be enought at 15 yds

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am will 40# be enought at 15 yds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUG53NeNsBg
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

All of my hunting bows have been #40 to #46. I've used wood, aluminum and carbon arrows down through the years and have had success with all of them, but mostly with aluminum. Just don't push the range out too far with your 40. At 15 yards you can kill deer all day long with #40. I would drop to an 1816 aluminum at #40 or it's spine equivalent. I liked 1916 out of my #45 and #46 bows. I don't have a chart handy, but I think the spine for 1816 is 620 or less. Use a standard width Eskimo or Ace broadhead that's very sharp and go out and hunt. What is your draw length? It might effect your choice of arrow spine.

I have had complete pass throughs, with the arrow in the ground, with my old 1966 Bear Grizzly #41 58" recurve with a 27 to 28" draw, using those 1816 arrows with 125gr broadheads. That bow may not be as efficient as your hybrid longbow, but it's probably close. The arrows may not always make it to the ground, but on a double lung shot, the arrow will make it out the other side consistently. I've also had light carbon arrows make it into the ground from a 43# 54" Browning Safari 1 using 125gr broadheads from 18 to 20 yards. There is an old school of thought that advised very heavy arrows at this low weight, but I've never found that to be necessary. An 1816 is a pretty heavy aluminum arrow and flies well out of #40 bows. I think it would be fine at 15 yards.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Joe, you didn't mention whether you were stand or blind hunting. Obviously. limb clearance is important depending on your situation. All things relative, the recurve is probably shorter?
In any case, 40# is plenty of deer medicine with a sharp broadhead (there is the key!) Typically, I place my confidence in the bow I can and do shoot/practice with the most. If that's the 40# bow, then that would be the one I pick. 5# of draw weight is not that much of a difference in kinetic energy, but it sure is easier to draw and hold.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

I have a Bear Cub that I bought back in 1968 that is 36#@28" and the person I bought it from, his mom shot a 150# field dressed doe with it.
Just saying.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

My recurve that I have taken into the woods several times for deer is a 38 pounder at my draw. No even second thoughts about it. Shoot what is comfortable.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”