I might be all done

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

I might be all done

#1 Post by Graps »

With hunting that is.
You see, it has become very difficult for me due to some physical situations.
Three years ago I had to drop from 60# bows to low 40s#. The problem is a condition in my hands that causes my tendons to be very tender and enlarged.
I also have a sciatica that gives me fits as well as a lower back problem.
This past spring bear hunt was very emotional for me because I couldn't even recover my bear without LD ( Caddo ) doing most all the lifting and pulling.
The past few years I have let a few shooter deer walk by because I didn't feel up to taking care of the deer after the shot.
So I'm seriously thinking of calling it quits after 49 years of hunting. :|
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: I might be all done

#2 Post by Elkman »

Dale I am sorry to here that!
I can't imagine having to give up hunting with my bow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I sure hope this isn't the case. You have a hunting partner? if not, get someone to help you. You have a ton of knowledge and info to share, anyone would be fortunate to learn from and help you if needed. I have a guy I hunt with whos 64, he has a tough time doing much, he has difficulty walking any distance, unable to drag/clean/skin game. He's quite grumpy at times, and now shoots a cross bow because he cant draw anything else due to shoulder issues. I don't mind though. He is who got me into archery, has hunted with me for the last 25 years, he's my buddy. I help him in any way I can just so he can get out and enjoy it and will continue to do so until he isn't able any more.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I am so grateful for good friends! How else could I have a transplant and go on a weeks hunting trip within a few months. My buddies insisted I go even though it meant them scouting a close place, taking and setting me a stand, walking me in, and coming back for me. They have continued dragging or helping take care of all my Deer, doing all lifting, loading, and everything else I could need. Thankfully I have got to the place that I can help myself more but I’m still limited. My point is that I have been there and would have quit if it were not for an abundance of good friends, but with their help I have continued to enjoy hunting. Even though I feel bad about it at times they never stop urging me, even insisting on paying for all my expenses if I will just go.
I wonder why at times, why would they even want an old broke down man to take care of? Evidently in their minds I bring something to the table that I fail to see, probably like Toms buddy. And I know as already stated that you have a lot to bring to the table, there’s got to be some younger feller or folks that would love to tap into that.
I remember not so many years back that you lost your main hunting buddy and probably felt like giving up then. But you have continued doing what you can with those memories probably flooding your mind at times. I urge you to do what little you can, even if it’s taking close short trips, and only shooting them with your camera! And take advantage of any offers from younger spunky fellers that want to take you out. Why? Because if you are anything like me; you need to be outdoors!

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Dont even know what to say...... Have you thought of using a mechanical release (I know it's not ideal) to relieve your fingers of the pain? As for heavy lifting, just invite a young buck to do the lifting for you!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Like F.D said!

joe harrod1945

#7 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I am in the same boat you are but i am not going to give up.you will always want to be in those woods.we need you now more than ever but you do not see it.we will not hunt like we use to so what.we can still do our hunting,shooting,maybe not as much but enought.except the changes an go on with it.you are tuff as a pine nut an we know it.I called medicare for a back brace they ask me where do you hurt.I told him back,shoulder,knee,ankle,just send me all of them. so their is one place i am not hurting an you know what i mean but still can not do any thing about it.TOO MUCH INFORMATION.we can not look back ONLY LOOK FORWARD AN LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST.the weather is going cool down now where are we going to be in the woods or in our easy chair.we have the CHOICE.what makes us happy is where we will be.i ask GOD each year just one more season PLEASE.GOD knows i am happy in those woods.GOD knows that is the place we are the closest.joe

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Another option for the hand is the Rodgers release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI-XgMK5k

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Carpdaddy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 am Another option for the hand is the Rodgers release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyI-XgMK5k
I have one of those. My problem is my bow hand, cant take the pressure against my palm.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

So sorry, Dale. I wish you well, my friend. If you can't hunt, I hope you can at least get out and enjoy the wildlife we all love so much.

Return to “Campfire”