Gators and hogs with a bow

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Gators and hogs with a bow

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

So you don't use fletching with 'glass arrows on gators?
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#12 Post by Ron Kulas »

I dont think anybody uses fletching for bowfishing arrows. Its the norm to shoot bare shafts. Max shots will be 10 yards.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#13 Post by Ron Kulas »

The first leg of the gator and hog hunt is under way. I need to acclimate to the environment in Florida. The week before departing WI we had temps with wind chills around -50F and 10 inches of snow last week so I thought it proper to slowly get used to the local conditions.

The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

This is cruel and unusual punishment, you realize...
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

Yup, he's being mean. Where's a moderator when you need one. :lol:

I know next to nothing about these gators. I'd as soon toss a grenade at them as an arrow. I do though remember that gun hunters had to shoot them in the brain to keep them from diving and not being able to recover them. I'm guessing your string is strong enough to pull them up off the bottom? Of does someone dive down in with the gaters to fasten a cable to the dead one - assuming he's dead. :shock:

Really, I wouldn't toss grenades at them, but many of the air force guys on duty on this small runway we had next to the rice paddys did toss many a grenade into them. I saw hundreds of dollars worth of tropical fish come to the surface, like three spot blue gouramis. Snakes too. Saw them go into local cook pots pretty quick.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#16 Post by stumper »

What a cool thread. I’m tuned in!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Ron Kulas

#17 Post by Ron Kulas »

I have yet to get a Gator with my bow in FL but did I get this but I didn't have a tag for it so it was catch and release.
​​​​​​​
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

What did you use for bait, I wonder?
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#19 Post by Ron Kulas »

Im back home after a week in sunny Florida. The trip was great. The weather was great (never saw a drop of rain)

The trip was a great success. I was able to get an 11 footer. Lots of great meat. I'll have the hide tanned and do a euro mount of the skull and preserve the claws. We spent a lot of time glassing and doing spot and stalks on several gators. They have better eyes and ears than I thought. This potato, corn, bean and watermelon farm has a lot of free range, wild gators roaming the irrigation canals. We wore out a lot of boot leather and sun screen and bottles of water.

We did a stalk on a large gator sunning himself in the pads, I got to within 10 yards directly above him, drew the 55 pound bow and unleashed a 1700 grain arrow which hit a scute (boney bump in rows down his back) and the arrow bounced off. I got zero penetration on that shot. Hitting a scute with a arrow, results in a pissed off gator and lots of splashing and nothing more.

Link to the Video of the hunt below.

https://youtu.be/f86OgE45_VA

The Joy is in the doing.

White Falcon

#20 Post by White Falcon »

That is Great!

Return to “Campfire”