Does "harvest" offend you?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Does "harvest" offend you?

#1 Post by Graps »

I seen on another forum that several people are offended by the term "harvest" in reference to killing a game animal.
They think it is too PC to call it that, it's killing and that's all there is to it.
I think "harvest" is very appropriate because that is just what it is. You are collecting something with the intent of eating it.
A kid with a BB gun kills little birds, and they leave them lay where they are.
I don't get it, what's the big deal about the terminology?
So if being politically correct.....
A skinning knife would be an epidermal delaminater.
A meat grinder would be a flesh disrupter.
A bow and arrow would be a animal dispatching delivery device.
Where will it end? And those that are offended by simple words that are not offensive.....
So what do you think? Did I offend you with this? :P
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

Re: Does "harvest" offend you?

#2 Post by Grizzly »

No. Harvest is fine, unless I want to make my Grandaughter crazy and get that look. Then I might say killed. Usually I simply answered the question, did you get a deer? Yup or nope.

We may be seeing a strong backlash to anything pc.

Some stuff should just be common sense, but then that probably won't be pc either.

Remember the movie, It' s Mad, Mad, Mad World? I can't remember what the movie was all about, but the title fits.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

I say call it what you want.No matter what you call it someone will be offended these days. So whack em and stack em. :shock:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

I use both terms. But I don't care what people think anyway!

Donnie

#5 Post by Donnie »

No matter what... You are going to offend somebody no matter what you say or do.

There is a growing animosity in America... and a lot of individuals are just tired of trying to "say everything right".... and not to offend others... and it seems like nobody cares if they offend you. So... you will hear individuals lashing out on trivial matters such as "Harvest vs. Kill"... "Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays"... ect... ect... Bottom line is to understand the society that we now live in... and realize that we live in a world in which many want to play the victim, and YOU JUST CANT MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY! So... be at peace with your own verbiage and or conduct... and let these little things just slide off of your back! Choose your battles carefully! :D

P.S., Merry Christmas!!!!!! 8-)

respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Well said Donnie
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

I learned a long time ago that there are extremes going to either side, and political correctness is no different. There are those who in extreme ways use verbiage that would offend almost anyone because they are against any censorship whatsoever....then to the other side those that cant seem to be satisfied even using strict political correctness verbiage. Like most things in life, I think modest amounts and mainly just good old common sense is the best route
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

"Harvest" doesn't bother me, because technically, that's exactly what you are doing. "Killing" is going out to the barn with your hatchet and lopping off the head of a chicken you yanked out of the coop. "Harvesting" is going afield and hunting successfully, which in itself is an oxymoron because I don't believe a successful hunt has to end with a kill at all...only a successful time spent with friends, family, or simply the presence of God and creation around you and bringing that home with you.
Bottom line; if someone doesn't like the terminology you use, tell them to go listen to someone else.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

or acquire their own food completely on their own. No stores allowed. Nothing bought wrapped in plastic. They need the blood on their own hands if they want to eat. And if they only want to eat veggies and greens, are they sensitive enough to hear those living entities object when you rip them apart to feed yourself?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:06 am or acquire their own food completely on their own. No stores allowed. Nothing bought wrapped in plastic. They need the blood on their own hands if they want to eat. And if they only want to eat veggies and greens, are they sensitive enough to hear those living entities object when you rip them apart to feed yourself?
...a.k.a. "screaming trees"? :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”