Working on my venison sausage...

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Working on my venison sausage...

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I always take off the week between Christmas and New Years and spend the majority of that time making venison breakfast and summer sausage. I'm usually done putting deer in the freezer by then so I thaw out all my scrap meat, grind it up, and start the seasoning process. I am adamant about using every scrap of meat off the animals I kill. Taking the life of another creature is very serious business with me and I feel I should honor the animals by utilizing all they have provided me.

Here is some photos of the grinding, mixing and fermenting part of the show

Here is 26 pounds of breakfast sausage all finished and ready for consumption! It is the easy half of the project for a two main reasons; it's less time consuming and it's easy to tweak the results before you call it good. Just mix in the spices, fry some up, taste, and repeat if necessary.

Summer sausage is a whole other beast! I ended up with almost 60 pounds of sausage and the logistics of handling that quantity of meat is daunting. You have to get everything mixed up just so and then you have to find a place to keep it all cool for 3 days while it ferments. Then you stuff it in casings and try to figure out how to smoke it all. I had to do this year's batch in two smokes. Each smoke takes around 16 hours until I reach the magical internal temp of 155 degrees. Then I have to cool all the chubs in an ice bath to 100 degrees to stop the cooking process. Then they need to hang for a few hours to dry. All this takes place without me knowing for sure whether the finished product will be fit to eat or not.

I finally tested the first batch of summer sausage this morning - 7 days after starting. Since I am a perfectionist, I am never fully satisfied with the final product but this was pretty good. There was plenty of tang in the taste and it had a firm consistency.

It was definitely "Jake Approved"!

Half of the chubs are vacuum packed and ready for the freezer. 28 more are in the smoker as I type.

Here is Jake and me enjoying the fruits of my labor at lunch. I'll give the effort a solid B+. Jake gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 slobbers!

Darren

Jamesh76

Re: Working on my venison sausage...

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

Looks great. Wish I was good enough to do that.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Too bad you don't live closer to me, I would have volunteered to help you with inspecting and tast
testing.
Thanks for sharing; oh wait; you didnt.
What's the recipe?
Just kidding. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

dhaverstick

#4 Post by dhaverstick »

Graps wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:14 pm Too bad you don't live closer to me, I would have volunteered to help you with inspecting and tast
testing.
Thanks for sharing; oh wait; you didnt.
What's the recipe?
Just kidding. :lol:
Graps, I'd be happy to share my basic recipes with you. However, they change each year as I try, unsuccessfully, to get that perfect blend of herbs and spices. Just shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

Darren

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Thanks Darren, but honestly I'm not that ambitious anymore.
I have a guy that makes me summer sausage and he made some black and blue meat sticks out of 12# of my bear this past summer. Those were awesome.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nock

#6 Post by Nock »

Looks good. What temp do you fire your smoker at?
Happiness is a tight chain!

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

Nock wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 am Looks good. What temp do you fire your smoker at?
Chris, I put the chubs in the smoker at around 120 degrees for an hour to dry them some. Then I increase the temp to 150 and cook for another 4 hours. Finally, I move the temp up to around 190 and cook until I reach in internal temperature of 155 degrees.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice, Darren! But wait...you forgot to ask me for my mailing address for the official TH review... ;)
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 am Nice, Darren! But wait...you forgot to ask me for my mailing address for the official TH review... ;)
An oversight on my part, Kirk. I apologize!

Darren

Nock

#10 Post by Nock »

I’d like to make some one day. But I’ll need to get me a electric smoker. I have a stick burner hard to cook that low with it.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Campfire”