Good 3D target?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Good 3D target?

#1 Post by Graps »

I'm looking to get a 3D black bear target.
I want one that is durable and replaceable kill zone.
I have heard of some that can damage arrows because of how they are reinforced.
Thanks for your input.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

Re: Good 3D target?

#2 Post by Grizzly »

I always felt these were the best. The bear will have a replaceable center. They are soft. I know a McKenzie targets when cold are very hard on arrows. The foam or whatever they are made of is hard.

I know if you were to get to the Compton Traditional shoot early, they used to have many for sale at good prices. I don't know if they still do, but they you had to not hesitate and buy one the first day. They are considered to be expensive. I know a few clubs who would budget for them. There may have even been club programs, but I can't remember the details. Maybe others can help more.
https://www.rinehart3d.com/
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

The small 28" black bear always makes me cringe when they are placed on a coarse. Small. They are small. Hard to kill. They are small. :(

The anatomy bear was neat for those of us still learning where the peculiar kill zones are on a bear. If I remember right, you could turn him around for a normal "hair" target without the anatomy. You would have to check on that, but there is not replaceable center with that one.

The honey bear is small. Smaller than the small 28" bear. They are tough targets on a coarse. Almost novelty targets - unless of coarse, you are an expert shot. Fun, none the less.

The large black bear may be the one you want.

My favorites were the standing grizzlies. You could shoot them from a long way off and use the tall body to line up your shot. Once you learned your drop, they became fun long range targets which you could drive other shooters crazy with. But, I think you want the most common target those bears offer you out in the woods. That's probably the large black bear.
black-bear.png
black-bear.png (181.6 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

The Rinehart has a better rating than McKenzie in terms of durability, but they are not cheap. A gunny sack full of straw painted black might serve the same purpose for a lot less.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am The Rinehart has a better rating than McKenzie in terms of durability, but they are not cheap. A gunny sack full of straw painted black might serve the same purpose for a lot less.
Done that, only I saved all the plastic at work and packet it in. Sometimes I'd buy the poly bags empty and fill them. They come with eyelets which help if you ever want to hang them. But they really don't look like a bear, unless your talking about maybe meeting up with one in the pitch black and you see this big blob in front of you. Of course it also might be your son-in-law. :o

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Was just talking to a friend of mine that used to have an archery shop.
I asked him about the 3D bear targets.
He made a good point that I have never heard before. And that is, those targets are of about a 100# bear and they can mess you up for field judging bears. Also it can mess with your judging the distance on a live bear.
But he said the deer targets are great because those are close to life size.
🤔 That kinda makes sense.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Years ago I would save boxes that a radiator or something similar came in. I'd usually just stuff it with other cardboard. When it got shot up or wet, I'd pitch it in the dumpster at work and start all over. I never hunted bears, but alot of deer. I would just get a tape out when an average doe was down and take all the measurements to make a template that I would lay on the box, and then use black spray paint around the template. It gave me a natural colored properly sized deer target. I'd also measure the proper height off the ground and have the legs also for a good reference. Mark in the vitals if you wanted and go shoot some.

One year at Compton, someone brought a pile of 4" thick sheets of some black material that stopped most arrows in the 40#. I think somewhere in the low #50 might go to the feathers. It was large enough that it barely fit inside my Astro van. It was some sort of industrial scrap material. But you could draw a pretty good bear on something like that. Be even nicer if they were light colored. A friend once went to the local tractor supply, or where ever they sell small utility trailers. They come with a large block of styrofoam to hold up the tongue on the lot. After a while they need to dispose of them. You soon see them blowing away also. I take one with me hunting to shoot my practice broadhead arrows at. Well, he made a wall out of them for a backstop at his house. Glued them together. Works great. I usually take one for the kids when we go to the park range sometimes along with a bag and block.

Return to “Campfire”