Whats your favorite nonarchery target?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Whats your favorite nonarchery target?

#1 Post by Graps »

OK, what I mean by this is, what is your favorite things to shoot at that isn't an actual archery target.
Like old toys, sticks or something.
I'm going to tell a funny one on myself.
Way back in the early 70s I discovered the Judo Points.
I got one of those and was shooting in the yard just to see how it wouldn't burrow under the grass.
Man that thing worked great.
:D Ooooo, I have an idea! I'm going to get my nice soccer ball and kick it like jumping a rabbit.
I kicked the ball, drew up to snap shoot and I nailed it at about 15yards. :shock: :o :?
To my surprise the arrow went through the ball.
That shot was not done again and my very nice " LEATHER SOCCER BALL" was ruined. :cry:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

Re: Whats your favorite nonarchery target?

#2 Post by Grizzly »

Left home alone with my uncle's long bow and some wooden arrows in the 50's, that day my favorite target was straight up. Talk about the joy of watching an arrow in flight, it began early for me until aaaahh!!! and a quick sprint to flatten out against the eves of the neighbors roof. They weren't home and for some reason, their yard was better for this than ours. Until an arrow hit a rock and the cedar split open without breaking. So this budding young future mechanic was trying to figure out how to repair an arrow at about 7 years old. No fancy glues ofther than Duco cement, I had no idea what duct tape was yet, so a string, yes a string. :geek: Well my Uncles longbow didn't have a shelf and when I fired that "repaired"?? arrow, I drove about an inch long thick splinter into the back of my thumb. (no form yet :oops: ) (to this day, I have no use for bows without shelves - I leaned to dislike them at an early age - don't even try to talk me into one).

So, with no one home, I went hooping and hollering over to a neighbors house who had a beautiful sable colored collie. Well there were no doctors nearby either, so, yup, they took me to the dog's vet to get patched up and Mom and Dad promptly sent that bow back to my Uncle so that he could get in more trouble shooting the pigeons in a local NYC park. :lol: :lol:
Grandpa scan 1.jpg
Grandpa scan 1.jpg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

:lol: Yep, I've done stuff like that too. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Bet those soccer balls weren't cheap.

I think the first thing I shot unintentionally was a ricochet off the edge of a target with a field tip that went through one of those tough 1960's galvanized pails. Back then, as teenagers, we were shooting Bear Tiger Cat recurves Into a backstop of hay bales in the back yard facing the screened in porch/dining area. Out target was a paper plate and Dad wouldn't let us go hunting until we could consistently hit that plate. As usual, I loved the flight of an arrow and would back up into the field behind the house as I was stretching further and further the distance I could hit at. I think we picked this up as the norm from what Fred Bear was doing and what Howard Hill were doing on television in those days.

It's a wonder I never launched one through the screens and into the picnic table on the porch.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Roadsnakes

#5 Post by Roadsnakes »

I use empty liter bottles from soda. Like Coke or Pepsi. I attach the bottle to the hay bale at the outdoor range. I make a small slit in the bottle on the opposite side from the logo. Then I stick a old part of a broken arrow or sharp stick about 8" long into the hay bale, and slip the bottle on the protruding stick. That way the logo becomes my focus when I`m shooting.
I like the sound of the arrow hitting the empty bottle. The first couple of arrows can make a nice POP!

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

I like old stuffed animals. I keep my targets in my shed and just open the doors when I shoot. The stuffed animals, I hang by the rafters and shoot at. Sometimes we swing them also.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 pm I like old stuffed animals. I keep my targets in my shed and just open the doors when I shoot. The stuffed animals, I hang by the rafters and shoot at. Sometimes we swing them also.
That's just wrong, James... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

10 points for Pooh Bear

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Starlings

joe harrod1945

#10 Post by joe harrod1945 »

shooting rabbits in our garden in the summer.

Return to “Campfire”