Funny or interesting hintin' tails.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Funny or interesting hintin' tails.

#1 Post by Graps »

Let's tell funny and or interesting hunting or just bow and arrow stories.
Something you have done or someone else.
Even share stories you remember an old timer told you.
So how about it?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

Re: Funny or interesting hintin' tails.

#2 Post by Graps »

A few years ago my wife's brother was at our place and him and I were shooting.
My wife came out and was watching us and her brother told her to get her bow and shoot with us.
It took some persuading but she went and got her bow and arrows.
I had to string her longbow for her and she at 20 yards, knocked an arrow, drew back and put that arrow dead center of the 10 ring. :shock:
Her brother told her to do that again and she just walked back to the house.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

Re: Funny or interesting hintin' tails.

#3 Post by Graps »

Back in the mid 70s in Michigan we had no season on snapping turtles nor a size limit .
This one night a friend of mine and I were on a small river , he was paddling the canoe and I would stand in the front with lanterns mounted and shoot snapping turtles with my K-Mag . Now the season for spear fishing in Michigan was over about two weeks earlier so I was strictly turtle hunting .
We had a fairly good night with five turtles that were from twelve to fifteen inches across the back shell . As we were coming back to my truck about 2:00AM , we noticed another truck parked there as well . When we climbed out of the canoe and started walking to the truck with a gunny sack full of turtles a very bright flashlight came on and was right in my eyes . A mans voice said keep coming on up to the road and bring that sack with you . It was a Conservation Officer . So we did . He asked me what was in the sack and I told him snapping turtles . He told me to empty the sack here in the road at his feet . I asked him if he was sure and he insisted . So all five of the turtles that were very upset to begin with began to posture , hiss and snap at his feet . He jumped back and was talking about a Chinese guy called Ho Lee somebody .
I then asked him if he would hold the sack for me and help get the turtles back in the sack . He told me that he would be glad to hold the flashlight for me .
He had never even heard of getting turtles that way and I explained how I shot them threw the neck so they are easier to handle and you don't get the arrow stuck in the shell .
Sure do miss those days . It was about fifteen years later that they started the turtle season , size limit , bag limit and you couldn't use a bow and arrow or spring device .

Return to “Campfire”