New Guy Introduction

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
KJC-58

New Guy Introduction

#1 Post by KJC-58 »

Good Afternoon Everybody....I'd like to give you a little information about me, and why I joined the site. I'm 60 years old and have been hunting with non-traditional equipment for almost 40 years. Other than messing around with a fiberglass straight bow and recurve as a kid, all of my hunting has been with a compound bow. Several years ago a good friend passed away, and his wife gave me his three volumes of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible. I let far too much time and opportunity to pass before I decided it was time to take action. A couple months ago I took volume one off the shelf and began to read it. Part way through, I realized that much of what I was reading, while making sense to those with more knowledge than me, had me a bit twisted up. After a little searching I decided to pick up another book to start with and then go back to "The Bible" I read "Traditional Bowyer's Handbook by Clay Hayes, and am now most of the way through volume one of the Bible. I know that in today's world there are so many print and video resources to take advantage of, but it's very hard to ask a book or video a question, and get an answer....that is why I searched for a forum where I can ask questions of knowledgeable people before making mistakes which could be avoided. I haven't begun "doing" anything yet, other than reading and trying to understand what I have read. Winter in western NY is beautiful, and so is walking in my snow covered woods, so I took some time and flagged some of my trees for possible use when I am ready. I flagged black cherry, sugar maple, ash, and hop hornbeam. I am committed to learning the process, and making bows until I'm able to get one that doesn't break or function so poorly it's unusable. I will do my best to ask logical questions that will get me through the more confusing moments. I thank you all in advance for your time and patience. KJC

Graps

Re: New Guy Introduction

#2 Post by Graps »

Welcome from Michigan.
We have a member on here that lives in Black River NY and he just built a self bow last year.
We have a few on here that build there own bows and they would be the ones to ask direct questions.
Glad to have you here and hope to see you here often.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nomad

#3 Post by Nomad »

Welcome to the site! I build all my self bow out of hickory. Have a lot of it available here. I started out reading "The Bent Stick", by Comstock. He said it was one of the only woods that is so tough you don't have to put a backing on. I have made a half dozen and never had one break and I don't think I am all that good at it! lol No backing on any of them either, most are 20+ years old. So, you might want to consider hickory if you have any around. Cut them and split them soon, they are going to take a while to dry out.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Welcome to the site!
You've got questions...we've got answers!
Not always the right ones, but hey...we can fake it if the need arises. :D
Plenty of guys here who "roll their own"...some really nice ones, too. Me, I love living in the past and shooting my vintage Bears, mostly. But if you're of a mind to tackle building your own, there is plenty of experience here to help you...without the attitude of some of the bigger forums.
Again, welcome!

I would HIGHLY recommend "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera, available on Amazon, from 3Rivers and other sources. The best "One-stop" trad archery book out there.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Welcome from Corvallis Montana! I build laminated bows. Haven't tried a self bow yet. Glade to have you here at Tradhunter.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Nock

#6 Post by Nock »

Welcome. I’ve been kicking the idea of a selfie as well.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome aboard from Kentucky! I began building self bows but then got into fiberglass backed and never looked back. The book that inspired me in the beginning was Dean Thorge’s “Hunting the Osage Bow”. The Bowyers section here has some things you can scan through, we need someone to step up and build one, pictures of progress appreciated, maybe even required! Lol

White Falcon

#8 Post by White Falcon »

Welcome from North East TX.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Welcome from the swamplands of Louisiana
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Lowcountry

#10 Post by Lowcountry »

Welcome from Charleston, SC

Return to “Campfire”