Funny or interesting things you have seen or heard.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Re: Funny or interesting things you have seen or heard.

#21 Post by Grizzly »

One reason why I stopped participating in deer drives on the farm. Years ago, one of the sons of the farm paired me with his 12 year old. He paired his other young son with another hunter and then posted about half a dozen of us. Then the others went and drove the top of this main hill towards us. I was told not to worry about anyone being near us. Sure enough, a young basket rack came out, ran across the old farm trail we were covering. The boy never shot and my TC Hawken misfired. Out of curiosity, I walked over to where the deer had come out to see if it was a used run. It was about at the top of that hill where the old farm trail started down hill. To my shock, about 100 yards down the trail, near the bottom, stood his other son and the hunter. I could not help but think what might have happened if that heavy slug I was using had passed through both lungs and headed down that hill.

Rather than reload and clean everything, I left the rifle as it was and only replaced the perc. cap (maybe running a wire through the nipple). I told the boy I was with that if another deer comes through, not to fire until it passes across the trail so as not to be in line with the other hunters. Sure enough a buck did come through. We both fired about the same time and this time the Hawken went off. The deer was recovered at the bottom of the hill and I've often wondered if that wasn't another case of Divine Intervention, just a dirty fire channel or a little bit of both.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#22 Post by Grizzly »

Rapid reloading. On another one of those drives, the guys still laugh at the one who emptied his shotgun never hitting a thing (another reason I dislike drives) and reached into his pocket for more shotgun shells. He got one or two in and kept fumbling with the last. Time was flying by and the deer were moving everywhere. He finally looked down to see he had been trying to load his chap stick into the shotgun. :roll:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#23 Post by Grizzly »

When you need confidence for a shot. I loved my Dad's recurve from the 60's when we hunted together. After Dad passed, my younger brother sent it to me. It was marked "Deluxe Composite" and was the predecessor to the Browning Safari 1. At 52" and 40# it has been the smoothest, most pleasant of all the recurves I ever owned or shot. Many others have made the same comment. I took one deer with it just in memory of Dad and then tried not to use it were it might get scarred up. On ebay, I found a Safari 1 at 43# and bought it. That bow turned out to be quite the shooter for me. But, in the beginning, I had to get the feel for it. One day at a 3d shoot, on a tall elevated stand they'd built, I launched 4 arrows - all different and not matched at an elk about 20 yards away. All were 10's and 8's - all good kill shots.

Now, when I finally took it out on stand to hunt, there I was, up in the highest stand I had. A few does came into the tall grass about 18 yards out feeding under me. I was nervous. The downhill shot worried me, the 3 or 4 sets of eyes worried me, hitting a killing shot worried me. Needless to say, I was not full of confidence - until I remembered that elk target. I assured myself that if I could do it then, I could do it now and drew down and shot. As it turned out, that has been the most well placed shot I've made yet with a recurve on a deer.

I still think that is one of the better designs out there for a short bow. That, or we were just well suited for each other.

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

The deer was recovered at the bottom of the hill and I've often wondered if that wasn't another case of Divine Intervention, just a dirty fire channel or a little bit of both.
I don't believe in coincidences. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#25 Post by Grizzly »

At our age and after all we've seen, I don't either. Early on though, in my youth, it took many happenings before I began to realize and recognize His Hand at work in my life.

Return to “Campfire”