Funny or interesting things you have seen or heard.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Re: Funny or interesting things you have seen or heard.

#11 Post by Grizzly »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
News
`TAXIDERMIST' STUFFS 24 ALLEGED VIOLATORS
John Husar
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
For 30 months, an undercover state conservation policeman operated a little taxidermy shop in tiny Pleasant Hill, Ill., a backwoods community in southern Pike County.

It soon became known that he would process deer and other mounts whether or not they had the proper tags.

Business flourished, legitimate and otherwise. The friendly taxidermist got invited upon several illegal hunts.

Then came the hammer.

A covey of 15 conservation cops, augmented by state police and a federal game warden, swept into Pleasant Hill a week ago and threw the book at 24 individuals, accusing them of 89 state wildlife code violations.

Some were charged with felony counts of attempting to intimidate witnesses. Others face additional federal charges for poaching on a national refuge.

Capt. Mark Ottis, commander of the Alton conservation police region, said most charges involved deer, turkey, waterfowl, raccoon and fox violations, including hunting out-of-season with handguns and rifles, trespassing, falsification of records, illegal possession of game and permit swapping.

Ottis said all of the alleged violations occurred in Pike and Calhoun counties.

"Some of this (poaching) goes on in almost every rural county where an attitude prevails among a minority of locals that the wildlife belongs to them," Ottis said.

Court dates have been set for April 20 in Pike County Circuit Court and April 21 in Calhoun County.

Incidentally, the undercover cop's legitimate taxidermy customers are able to claim their mounts with no trouble, and some have insisted he complete his promised work.

"One fellow with a caribou said he really liked the man's work," Ottis said with a delighted laugh.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

-At a 3d shoot, one of the three of us shooting together missed the target, causing us to search in the brush and grasses behind it. We were back there for a good while when we saw another group approaching, so we gave up the search. They had a nice looking English Golden Retriever (more white and mixed golden colors) with them. So we talked about the dog for a while and then the lost arrow subject came up. The owner said that their dog finds their arrows all the time. They just couldn't guarantee what shape it might be in when she returned it to you. Great, send her in.

It took alot less time for the dog to find the arrow then it did for us not to find the arrow. She came prancing out with the arrow, all proud and happy and took it right to the man who owned it. Now that was the part that amazed me. How did she know who's arrow it was? The nose knows. There must have seven of us standing around waiting.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#13 Post by Graps »

Some of the guys at trad shoots have a bad sense of humor.
This on guy will offer to help you find your arrow. He keeps a twig in his pocket and he will yell FOUND IT at the same time he snaps the twig in two.
Sounds just like he stepped on your arrow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

At the archery shop I would hang out at back in the 70s this young man came in with his mother and she helped get him setup to bow hunt deer.
You could tell that money was tight so we helped him get started as least expensive as we could.
We then mentioned camo clothing but his mom and him didn't think it would be necessary.
A few weeks later the archery deer season opened and around noon he came in the store and told us that a 12 point buck kept walking around him but just wouldn't get close for a shot.
He then asked to get some camo and headed back out hunting.
A few hours later just about the time the shop was closing he came back and told us that the 12 point came within about 10 yards and stood broadside.
He told us that he was so nervous that he missed the buck. We told him that happens.
He then told us he nocked another arrow and missed again. He shot 5 arrow at the buck and missed every time and it still just stood there.
He then told us that he talked himself into calming down because he only had one arrow left. He drew up, took a deep breath and put the last arrow right on the mark.
We asked him if he got it and he said come out to my car and see it..... :shock:
Bigger than any deer I have taken in my entire life.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

My buddy Mike was deer hunting near a foot trail on State land.
He saw coming down the trail a DNR officer. The officer walked within a few feet of Mike and started scanning with his binoculars.
As he panned around, he stopped when he was looking Mike in the eyes. Dropped the binoculars and yelled " Where the H##L did you come from?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike had that effect on people.

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

I heard this from a DNR officer.
He was patrolling near Lake Michigan and he heard a gun shot. It was gun deer season so no surprise.
He parked his car and walked the direction of the shot and found a hunter sitting on a sand dune. Near the bottom of the dune was a doe that was field dressed.
He went up to the hunter and asked him if he shot that deer and the guy said no he didn't.
After checking the guys license and asking if he had a doe permit he noticed the guys hands were covered in blood and so was the handle of his sheath knife.
Well the guy had no doe permit and was sticking to his story that he didn't shoot the deer so the officer dragged the deer to his car and loaded it on the hood.
A few hours later the officer was crushing the local campground and he saw the same guy talking with some people and pointing to his car with the deer still on it.
As he got near there campsite a woman walkwd out in front of the car and he stopped as she placed her hands on the hood and yelled at him " Where are you going with my husbands deer!?' :? :lol:

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

There was this old gentleman that owned some property that he would let us hunt at and we all stayed at his cabin during deer season.
This one day he went to the top of the hill behind the cabin and that hill went up for about 100 yards and elevated well over 50 feet.
He had a nice buck come buy and he shot it through the heart and it ran down the hill and dropped a few feet from the buck poll.
Everybody was teasing him on how lazy he was to do that and he replied "A good hunter can call his shots and I had to wait for just the right angle before I pulled the trigger"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm There was this old gentleman that owned some property that he would let us hunt at and we all stayed at his cabin during deer season.
This one day he went to the top of the hill behind the cabin and that hill went up for about 100 yards and elevated well over 50 feet.
He had a nice buck come buy and he shot it through the heart and it ran down the hill and dropped a few feet from the buck poll.
Everybody was teasing him on how lazy he was to do that and he replied "A good hunter can call his shots and I had to wait for just the right angle before I pulled the trigger"
"I meant to do that!" 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Several years ago my sister and brother in law had 80 acres that had all kinds of game animals Including deer.
Now my brother in law was just a pheasant hunter but wanted to deer hunt.
So I helped him get a shotgun setup to shoot slugs and he bought himself a big sheath knife.
My sister told him to have me sharpen it because I could get it very sharp for him.
So I did and he found a pocket illustration on how to field dress a deer.
Opening day he shot one of the biggest 10 points I have ever seen. The dresses weight was 225#.
But I couldn't figure out why the belly looked so funny.
Then I realized what I was seeing, he had shaved the belly hair off. :lol:
I asked him why he did that and he said it seemed like a good way to keep hair out of the inside. :?

stumper

#20 Post by stumper »

Lol
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”