Reminiscing

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Reminiscing

#1 Post by Graps »

Almost 60° today and I'm seeing some Redwing Blackbirds.
My mind goes back to when I was a kid. The first decent day of the year, I would walk almost a half mile to the lake behind our place.
Would usually be a little windy and the sound of the Redwing Blackbirds singing while hanging sideways on the cattails........
Not too likely the fish would be biting but I was having a good time.
And of course i would probably step in a soft spot and pull my foot out. The smell of the swampy yuck stuck to my leg......
Boy; do I miss those days.......
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

dougedwards

Re: Reminiscing

#2 Post by dougedwards »

Very nice! I never get too old to become amazed at the nature that God has provided around me. I can't physically do all that I once did but my memory is still functional and my desire to be an active part of the outdoor world has not waned. As I open my eyes each morning I am thankful that I am able to take a breath for one more day and enjoy what I can. Today, grandchildren excite and motivate me as much as anything else.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Ooh you had me until the black swamp mud. I hate that nasty stuff.

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

It's best barefoot.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

One Spring day I had a good idea.
There was a wheat field between our house and the fishing hole .
The wheat was almost waist high, standing tall and green. And in that stage the straw is quite tough.
Now for my idea; if I could mow a path diagonally across that field I could ride my bike back to the fishing hole.
Now my dad had just put new blades on the mower deck of his Wheel Horse Tractor and I had seen him cut with the deck up in high grass and then drop it down and finish mowing.
So I figured I'll mow back to the finishing hole with the deck up and come back home with it down. :idea:
Off I went and it cut good. I came back home again with the deck down and....SUCCESS! :D
I was so proud of myself for having such a great idea.
I couldn't wait until my mom and dad got home so I could show them......
My mom didn't say a thing just kinda did this :roll:
My dad did this :shock:
At that point my dad got on the phone and called the farmer that owned the property and told him what I had done and why.
It wasn't until years later that my dad told me what the farmer said. The farmers response was "Sounds like a good idea" :lol:
My dad did inform me that I had spoiled several bushels of wheat and also ruined the blades on his mower. :?
But I did ride my bike to go fishing back there all that summer.
No sense in letting it go to waist. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

When dealt lemons, make lemonade.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”