Wanna wild bore hunt?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Re: Wanna wild bore hunt?

#11 Post by Grizzly »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am #3 was just plain stupid. Who hunts boar with a scoped rifle? Wrong tool for the job, Bosco.

I noticed none of those fellers appeared to bring along a change of skivvies. Bad move.
Look at how the Army uses their 4x acogs for close quarters combat and long range. I've never played with one. Somehow they must get a wide, clear field of view up close. A 4x rifle scope just can't duplicate that - not even close. But they are very expensive.

One of these days I want to send an old Philippine Simmons 2.8 x 10 x 44 Aetec that has very nice glass back in - hopefully for repairs and not some goofy replacement of their choosing. If it doesn't go back on the AR, I have an old Husqvarna Tradewinds Husky 30-06 from the late 50's, early 60's I can put it on.

I wish I could afford a nice 1x6 scope for the AR. It's capable of .383" groups at 100 yards with heavy Sierras. They are pretty fast up close with both eyes open. the 1x keeps everything on the same magnification plane as your eyes and gives a wide field of view.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

I learned my lesson in the deer woods, Craig.
Two deer running uphill at 35 yards...they never saw me...and I'm there with a 7mm A-Bolt with a 3X9. I couldn't find them in the lens to save my life. I went back to the trailer and got my .35 Rem Marlin with open sights for the duration.
Not that scopes are bad...just that for close-up 'n' fast, not so much. If you watch #3 again you'll se the guy shooting from the hip, basically. Not the best idea with a running Ginsu.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

The only time I can remember ruining some meat in a front shoulder was when my shotgun stock was too long, I was in a cramped position and couldn't move, the deer was around 10 yards, maybe more and I fought to get the 2.5x scope to give me the eye relief I needed. At the last moment, I got to use about half of the scopes field of view and fired just a bit forward, ruining some meat.

I always double check that my adjustable scopes are on the lowest setting. I figure that if I need more magnification, I have time to turn the adjuster. That way I never get in that position of not being able to find the deer in the scope. That's also why many use a variable starting in the 2x range.

If i couldn't use a scope, I'd go with a peep or aperture sight next. I've found them to be good up close and even out to 200 with deadly accuracy. I'm not too fond of most other open sights. When Dad bought me my first deer rifle around 1960, it was a Sako .243 that had already been cut down for a small person and it had original peep sights. Dad took them off, mounted a scope and I never saw them again. That was about the end of the factory peep sight era on bolt actions. I mounted a set on my 26" Winchester 30-30 and love them.

I'm with you on hogs though. I doubt I'd want a scope unless it had a true one power with a wide field of view and I was comfortable with it.

Then again, my Marlin .357 has open sights and I've never had a problem with them. Actually, that was why I chose the Marlin. I liked that little brass bead out there.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Campfire”