Elk bug

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Elk bug

#1 Post by Hill billy »

I didnt book a elk hunt this year and i have got the fever bad🤒 Last year i was fortunate to draw an elk tag in new mexico. I drew my tag through an outfitter that turned out to be a disaster. So my thirst never got quenched so to speak. I have reached out to 3 outfitters in colorado hoping for a last minute drop camp but 2 out of 3 have not retuned my phone calls. Finding public land with a decent huntable herd has been unfruitful for me in the last few years but im thinking about trying it again. So much info out there but its overwhelming if your not familiar with the area.😩 if anyone knows of a good drop camp outfitter in a good area with otc tags i should could use some guidance. Any tips would be greatly appreciated👍although i am certainly not asking for anyones secrets.

stumper

Re: Elk bug

#2 Post by stumper »

I would talk to tom. He's the resident expert on elk. His user name is elkman
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Larry has also done a lot of elk hunting (Tradman)
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

Yea i appreciate the post but the more i think about it this is really kinda a loaded question. I stay in pretty good shape and im equipped to travel in a minute. But this elk thing has gotten complicated in the last few years. I have hunted elk several times but can not hang my hat on a kill. I have a score to settle but the older i get i just like being in the mountains. Stay tuned if i figure somthing out ill give a details and a story👍

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

I know Idaho has over the counter Elk tags for some of their areas. My son lives over there. I am not up on the better spots. I can ask him if your interested. He has mentioned that there are outfitters who will take you in and leave you.

Montana will most likely have surplus tags available again this year. Most of those are for cows. Worth checking out if your okay with a cow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Hill billy

#6 Post by Hill billy »

Thanks elkman. I sent you a pm

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I have been kinda thinking about doing an elk hunt myself. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Hill billy

#8 Post by Hill billy »

Yea somthing about those mountains! And Im not getting any younger. Im not one to blow money for the sake of a saying I went on hunt.If i feel like there is game in the area Im all about diy and enjoying the challange. 👍

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Been wanting to for years... maybe some day...
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”