Picture of the Day

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

Re: Picture of the Day

#431 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

The racks are basic, all I did was add more bungies, it will carry a rifle or a compound easily, a 58" recurve with quiver also fits easy, but limits where you can ride. I'm working on a newer system so the quiver is inside the bike frame between my legs most of the bow will ride on the pack on the back of the bike. I've also got a trailer for the bike. If it's bigger than a deer, I'll go back to where ever I left the trailer. But a quartered deer will fit it the pack. Here's a old pic just after I finished making the pack. Me towing trailer, carrying for spring bear.
aablacktailleft.JPG
aablacktailleft.JPG (75.25 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Bikeandtrailer_zps734e7451.JPG
Bikeandtrailer_zps734e7451.JPG (210.39 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Grizzly

#432 Post by Grizzly »

Nice set up. I'll bet that keeps your legs in shape.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#433 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: You have some nice unique pictures elkslayer4x5, thanks for sharing. Those kitty Kats & Bears would make me double think slipping in to a stand before daylight! :shock:

elkslayer4x5

#434 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Carpdaddy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:53 am :shock: You have some nice unique pictures elkslayer4x5, thanks for sharing. Those kitty Kats & Bears would make me double think slipping in to a stand before daylight! :shock:
Yep it was scary! Both my son and I carry Taurus Trackers, Brazilian made 7 shot revolvers that are loaded with 180gr reloads! But still even with that firepower, the mile ride into the area we left the bikes and the 1/4 mile walk from there to the blind with headlight( red lens) was very tense! Sitting in the blind we put up was also not so easy, every noise made us jump.
Logging company rules say we can use the land to hunt on Week-ends or holidays, closed during work week. The 3rd Saturday morning I pulled up to the gate to find a sigh telling that the area is now closed due to fire danger. We called them , told them we had a blind set up on their property, they told us that it has to stay there until the area was opened again, and that if they found the blind, they would take it down and keep it! :shock:
Yeah right, all you gotta do is find it! I didn't wait. Son and I drove out there, I grabbed my bike, and went to fetch the blind, while he drove around the area, an hour later we had all our stuff, love that little trailer! :) Also, here's a closer look at the bike pack. It expands, has 2500 sq in of storage and attachment points so anything can be strapped to it.
Loadedtruck_zps826242c8.JPG
Loadedtruck_zps826242c8.JPG (113.89 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Blacktail2500col.JPG
Blacktail2500col.JPG (125.8 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#435 Post by Captainkirk »

Sweet rig, Don! I don't believe the PHL I hunt allows bicycles. But I should find out...it's a mile walk in.
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#436 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

:) That mile walk in with nothing but your bow and days supplies is pretty easy. Even easier on a bike and it can carry the heavier stuff, That 1.5 liter water bladder in my pack is heavy when full, but I don't notice several bottles of water in the bike pack. But the clencher for me is what if it turns out to be a great day and I'm tagged out in the afternoon. :D
Now I need to haul whatever went down back to the truck that's now how far away? I've been carrying a Magellan GPS since 2010, and mark the truck before I leave, afoot sometimes there's a shortcut back.
Riding the bike lets me use less energy moving around, and wheels move easier than draging.

Greg Felty

#437 Post by Greg Felty »

That's a great setup Don. I only have to walk about a 1/4 mile. I do miss the hunts in southern Ohio. We could use 4 wheelers to go part way. I didn't see any big cats but I did see a big beaver. :lol:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

elkslayer4x5

#438 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I've retrieved some of the other pics from the three cougars cam, and one of the other cameras on the trail. In case I didn't mention it in this thread, This area is the drainage of Tucker Creek from little spring to within 1 1/2 mile of where it joins the Siuslaw river and a mile north of that spring. Basically a valley about 6 miles end to end.
From when we pulled this sd card, we had 3 weeks to get a blind ready, so we drug every storm broken tree part from limbs to tops into a little draw 20 yds left of where the camera was. Back in the next day with earth moving tools, a nice heavy mattock and a couple of shovels, took some edges back, leveled a floor, built a barricade behind us. Wrapped two rolls of camo burlap around the frame. A couple of handy well foliaged cedar branches in front for cover scent and we felt ready.
First pic is 11 days after the cougar family photo, 6 miles north. Probably Dad.
Tom.jpg
Tom.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Cow.jpg
Cow.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Bear.jpg
Bear.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Bull.jpg
Bull.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 316 times
ah, yep he's a bull A couple of days later, this may be a different bull, rack seems more vertical. I also caught a nice 5x5 on cam 2 of the 4, but can't find it right now. On the garage tower( used it reloading. Old dell, running XP, crashed once now files are somehow mixed)
more bull.jpg
more bull.jpg (80.67 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#439 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: Still a good idea! :shock:
Attachments
DCD3D449-9161-4AE0-ADCD-C104CF7B140A.jpeg
DCD3D449-9161-4AE0-ADCD-C104CF7B140A.jpeg (126.09 KiB) Viewed 310 times

elkslayer4x5