Property line ethics

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Property line ethics

#1 Post by Hill billy »

Gentlemen I need some opinions here! I had a ( so called hunter ) come across my property line last december and back a trailor with a hunting blind on it on the property line facing me. Placing bait on my property. He couldnt even get there without coming over on me because of a large creek bed. While there setting up his blind his dog was caught in one of my fox traps.so he just takes my trap with him. While checking my trap the following morning he was in the blind. I confronted him and was very nice to him ( which was a mistake) and told him to bring the trap back and move the blind that he insisted was on the line of the property he doesnt even own. I called the land owner and he wasnt much help but said he would call him.(note this the stand my wife dad and kids hunt. Hes carring a rifle and can see our stand) This spring he has feed on his side of the property for turkey.(Illegal) in arkansas. Game wardens stake it out but never let me know if they caught him hunting. While mowing food plots this weekend i used the frontend of my tractor and turned the blind around behind a tree and got it off me completly. Got a feeling this isnt the end of it. Any suggestions?

Hill billy

Re: Property line ethics

#2 Post by Hill billy »

This was kinda of the short version but would like to know your thoughts and comments and will answer questions on the matter as they are stated or ask.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Hope you doesn't has a hunting accident. :roll:
I have had people put tree stands on my property.
I have given some very expensive tree stands to friends. :twisted:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

If i had a trailor hitch on the bucket of the tractor there would be another aspect of the story.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

While I have never experienced this particular issue, I have a great deal of experience with people like this. When it comes dealing with unreasonable people especially armed unreasonable people I would contact the applicable law enforcement agency everytime you find a violation of your property line or see something illegal. I think you did the right thing attempting to handle it yourself initially. At this point, continuing to do so could do more harm than good.

It's not that I'm advocating a tattle tale mind set, however, you have the right guaranteed by the fourth amendment to be secure in your home papers and effects. If he is violating you property line after he has been made aware, this is trespassing plain and simple. I'm not sure of the laws in your state but in Louisiana if I find something on my property like a stand, I can throw it away without any negative recourse. You might consider finding out what your local laws are regarding this sort of thing. Additionally, Louisiana has a law LRS 14:63.3 called remaining after forbidden. It basically states if you are told that you cannot be somewhere and you remain you can be charged. I'd be surprised if your state doesn't have something similar. The point is it sounds like he is going to keep on keeping on until negative legal consequences come his way.

As far as whether the game wardens will catch him or not. In law enforcement we have a phrase "criminals have to get lucky everytime, we only have to get lucky once".

Lastly, perhaps there is something you can do on the neighbor side of the situation. If you have a decent relationship with him have a Frank conversation and let him know. That you are tired of the crap and will be contacting law enforcement everytime you find or see something askew. Might actually take some follow through a time or two, but eventually I doubt he will want game wardens and law enforcement on his property constantly... hopefully you create the scenario where it is not worth it to continue to let the violator hunt there any more, without placing yourself in danger.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

What Dave said.
It will only get worse until you draw a line in the sand.
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#7 Post by Hill billy »

Well Stumper the game and fish didnt say anything about my stolen trap, baiting on my property etc. They acted surprised i gave them an opportunity to catch him baiting. One officer said unless they catch him in the act tresspassing they couldnt write a citation.Or if the trailor is on me i could take posession. They act like its a civil matter.And though no one would come right out and say it i think they want me to take care of it. I have other things up my sleeve. He will have a hard time hunting also if im sitting in front of him or working on the tractor. Its just ludicrous. He has a better stand 150yds up the hill on the property hes hunting. I pointed that out to him. Hes worried about my stand and the deer were seeing. Besides the wind is always wrong where he is. I just am concerned about the safety of my family and they love this spot.

Hill billy

#8 Post by Hill billy »

It is stated in the hand book its illegal to shoot game across a property line that you do not have permission to hunt.

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

To be clear i contacted the game and fish first. They handle the tresspassing while hunting issues.I drew a line in the sand when i moved his set up off the line.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

If you cant get fish and game to act, I would talk to one of their supervisors.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”