Stumper's 2019/2020 Outdoor Adventures

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Re: Stumper's 2019 Tag Soup Thread

#41 Post by Greg Felty »

Glad you got to see something.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

stumper

#42 Post by stumper »

So the ending is simple. I sat another 2 hours and saw a couple bushy tails and a beautiful butterfly. Even heard a turkey talking in the distance. I hiked out invigorated and full of hope for future hunts. I passed on two shots that I am glad I passed on and am happy that I was able to leave with my personal convictions intact. I will say thst I am dedicating time to practicing longer shots. On the hike out I spotted a downed osage tree, which marks the first I have seen in our area. This log would have made a great bow if I had been there when it was felled. I spotted several more young osage trees on the way out. I have always loved this wma because of it's small size and friendly fellow bow hunters even though I rarely see anything. I have a couple new hunting apps and have some strategies for future hunts. The pipe line seems like the place to hunt although it is not conducive to a tree stand with how long it is. This was my first stalk on a deer and I did way better than I thought getting within 20 yards on foot. My next hunt will be on foot and I will work on putting together a minimalist setup for stalking. I have hunted this wma many times and feel like I get to know the land better each time. To boot and probably the key to my good attitude about this hunt was the fact that I did not have to contend with the mosquitos thanks to my thermacell. Even while hunting over a stagnant pool I could see the swarms of mosquitos just feet away but unable to get to me. If this device will work in the swamp lands of Louisiana I'm confident it will work just about anywhere. I also like that you can get earth scent refills that cover human scent and get rid of the bugs. Will probably get out to hutchinson again this week as it is only an hour away.

The elkseeker was a dream in the tree as usual and its shortness really helps out when stalking through the heavy brush.
Attachments
20191004_134809_resize_88.jpg
20191004_134809_resize_88.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#43 Post by Captainkirk »

That, my friend, is my definition of a successful hunt. The game is truly secondary to the experience.
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#44 Post by Hill billy »

Im liking the feel of this story

Greg Felty

#45 Post by Greg Felty »

All the excitement with out all the hard work. Win Win.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Grizzly

#46 Post by Grizzly »

I truly enjoyed that. No telling if I will get to hunt again, and you made me remember all the good times as you shared yours.....thanks

I wonder if you cut the end off of that log if there would be still good aged wood underneath ready to be split out?

I image though that the rules prohibit taking any trees out of the area. With permission???
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#47 Post by stumper »

The rules do prohibit it. Although, I thought about calling to ask but I had already hiked 4 miles that day and hadn't had food in 10 hours, so I didnt have any energy left to drag a log that size the last 1.25 miles back to my truck though I will be calling them soon to ask if I can pack it out on my next hunt.

Update. I just called the wma and they said I cannot take it..... oh well it was worth an ask.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#48 Post by Graps »

This reminds me, several years ago I was walking a nature trail and I found a very neat small tree with lots of character.
Would make a great cane. So I cut it a little further than I would like the handle and took it home.
My wife asked me what kind of wood it was and I told her it was Blue Beach.
She wondered how I knew that?
I told her that is what it said on the sign. :shock:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#49 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:38 pm This reminds me, several years ago I was walking a nature trail and I found a very neat small tree with lots of character.
Would make a great cane. So I cut it a little further than I would like the handle and took it home.
My wife asked me what kind of wood it was and I told her it was Blue Beach.
She wondered how I knew that?
I told her that is what it said on the sign. :shock:
:) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Nock

#50 Post by Nock »

Great story. I like the sound of your new spot.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Campfire”