Black bobcat sighting

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Black bobcat sighting

#1 Post by Hill billy »

Gentlemen I witnessed somthing today that I did not know existed. I live on gravel in a fairly remote area. Today driving home I had a black or dark grey bobcat cross the road in front of me with either prey or a kitten in its mouth in early afternoon. I have seen bobcat in my area in daylight but not such a dark coler. I could just barely make out the spots on its fur. And a very large cat. I almost got a pic but i wasnt quick enough. Anyone else seen any this color? I have even done my share of trapping but never have heard of such. :shock:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Black bobcat sighting

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: Cool, don’t see many Bobcats, less than one per year.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

No cats near me. Except house cats.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

I've only seen two bobcats while on the farm I used to hunt in Pike County Illinois. Both had normal coloration, but I read that they do exist, though very rare. I did once see a small species of wolf here that was very dark in color - sort of a dark sable. I never really knew what it was until I saw one mounted in a large Quincy, Il sporting goods store. It was a beautiful animal that was racing my Astro Van across a field. He finally put on a burst of speed and crossed in front of me. Very impressive.

It's so much more exciting or fulfilling, seeing these not so common animals out in the wild than on television or in books. I guess that's just one more reason we all share the love of the outdoors.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

I've never seen a black one.
Too bad you couldn't get a picture, that would be neat.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nock

#6 Post by Nock »

I see my fair share a year but never a black one. Would’ve like to seen it.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Hill billy

#7 Post by Hill billy »

I guess they do exisist. I was telling my brothet about it and he recalled seeing a fur that a local fur trader had that was dark. Although he said this had some normal coloration but the end of the hairs were very dark. Very cool.

Return to “Campfire”