Turning a blind eye...

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Turning a blind eye...

#11 Post by Elkman »

We, my wife and I, made it up to the ground blind to see how the short 52" Elk Seeker longbow worked.
We had a really hard time trying to get a picture. There was not enough room to get the picture inside the blind, camera was to close. With the small windows it was hard to get a shot outside also.

I was able to get situated so that I could draw the bow. So I would say that it will be possible for you to draw your K-Mag. You will need to practice to learn what you can and cannot get away with. Find the tallest blind you can afford.
20190913_195939.jpeg
20190913_195939.jpeg (182.73 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Here I am at full draw in a 5 foot high ground with the 52" short Elk Seeker longbow. The bow was canted slightly and I was as low as I could get.

Not 10 minutes after getting to the blind, we started hearing a cow call as she was coming down the hill towards the blind. My wife was out side the blind taking video as I took measurements of the inside of the blind and practiced drawing. I ignored the cow till I was done and ready setup for a shot.
The cow ended up coming down behind us. I told my wife to sit on a rock and be ready because I was going to cow call and bring her back up to us. As soon as I called the cow replied and came trotting up behind the blind.

Here is a pic my wife took. The cow was about 35 to 40 yards away. She stayed for quit a while and then walked off because she couldn't find the cow that she had heard. It was open enough that she knew she should be able to see what she was looking for.
It is quit often the case when they can't see what they hear, Bulls included. They pin point sound so well it isn't funny.
20190913_200330.jpeg
20190913_200330.jpeg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 50 times
It was a cool encounter and I am looking forward to more.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

stumper

#12 Post by stumper »

Wow
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Elkman wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm Find the tallest blind you can afford.
Roger that, Tom.
So, you're recommending 5 feet (60") and up for a 52" bow, then...I looked at a few last night that were reasonable at 67" and up. I'll have to make a decision as I get closer to the hunt. I've had fairly good luck in the past just brushing in a blowdown, but that doesn't help in rainy or windy conditions.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#14 Post by stumper »

Well any day in the woods is better than a day at the office.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”