Just hunting talk

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Just hunting talk

#1 Post by Hill billy »

I havent checked in for a few days. I have been in hot pursuit of the elusive whitetail. I dont know how every one else's weather has been but its been great here in north arkansas. Very little wind which has been rare the last few years. I had a good week and seen several young buck with only 1 day of no deer movement. I had a shooter right under me thursday morning. It was as quiet as a church house mouse and he came in on my oppsite shoulder while i was observing some deer behind me while also looking for a buck i heard grunt. He looked away finally and i was halfway through my draw and he spooked. I really think he heard me. Not sure. But he won. Really a good start to the season over all. Lots of white oak acorns. It might get tuff until they start chasing does. Hope yall are having some luck also

Graps

Re: Just hunting talk

#2 Post by Graps »

Good you were able to get out.
Thanks for sharing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Depends on your definition of luck! I came away empty-handed yet had a fantastic experience!
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

Captainkirk wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 pm Depends on your definition of luck! I came away empty-handed yet had a fantastic experience!
I totally agree. During the few days I hunted my tree stand fell out from under me. I dropped my almost new black widow resulting in awful dings and then let a nice buck get away at prolly three steps. But hey the harness i was wearing saved the day. The bow can be repaired and the buck lives for another challenge. Besides a got to see this every morning
20191013_073746-800x600.jpg
20191013_073746-800x600.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 177 times
looking north from my cabin. Every day is a blessing.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Nice picture.
Thanks for sharing
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Beautiful country, Michael. Whereabouts is your cabin located (ballpark)?
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#7 Post by Hill billy »

Captainkirk wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 pm Beautiful country, Michael. Whereabouts is your cabin located (ballpark)?
My place is located in the edge of the foot hills in north east arkansas along the eleven point river. I was raised in the north central arkansas with in walking distance of white river and norfork river. This place isnt home but i feel like i can almost see it from here.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Looks like a neat area.
Nice to hear you're doing okay. Sorry to hear about the bow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

EWill

#9 Post by EWill »

I found some smoking hot scrapes sat. morning. When I was downwind of them I could smell them. There are a few rubs around and the trails all lead to a narrow strip of timber. I'm zeroing in.
I had a decent buck come straight in and under me the first evening I hunted but offered me no shot. I also had a buck chase 4 or 5 does one morning to within 30 yards of me, way to far and brushy.
I have had a good season so far.

Hill billy

#10 Post by Hill billy »

Ewill sounds like the rut is starting to heat up in your area. I was hearing some grunting finding a few scrapes last week here. Im going to hunt these next couple days and see if anything has changed. On my place the rut seems to peak late october early November we will see.

Return to “Campfire”